This Disappears When Logged In

Horned Lizard

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by My2heartboys, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

If you unplug the heatrock and put it under the heat lamp you have on it it should provide a decent basking area.

As far as night time heating you can get an undertank heater, a human heating pad, or a ceramic heat emitter. ALSO you could try using one of those blue-ish purple 'black light' incandescent bulbs.

Ideally you should get a thermometer ASAP so you can experiment with methods to properly heat the tank.
    It might take a bit of experimentation to get the temp gradient right. (This may also be difficult to achieve in a 10g tank, not impossible, but still not as easy.)

2. My2heartboys

My2heartboys Active Member

Where would I place the emitter? Above the tank, above a rock?

Anne

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It has to be outside the tank. A place where the animal can't possibly contact it. Those things get VERY hot!

4. My2heartboys

OK, please forgive my ignorance (I am very quickly trying to remedy this), what purpose would the bulb mentioned below do? Would it provide heat at night?

Anne

5. Merlin

You're learning, We understand that.;)
    The blue bulbs are for night time heat. If you go CHE it will not be necessary.

6. My2heartboys

Given the size of tank we currently have, I am thinking that CHE will be better to go with. It will allow for a better temperature gradient at night. Now to get the daytime figured out. man, talk about feeling like I was thrown into the deep end. I can only imagine what that poor lizard is thinking.

My problem with balancing daytime heating needs is also making sure it has all of its UV requirements met--without cooking the poor thing.

Anne

7. Merlin

You can get a Mega Ray that does not produce heat.
    This seperates the either or factor between light and heat and will make controlling both simpler.
    Your best approach to understanding all of this is to think about how things are in mid summer in our location. This is the high point in their activity level. Warm nights and hot afternoons with bright sunlight.

8. My2heartboys

OK, bulb and thermometer are on order. Got a container for the ants, gloves to handle the ants with, mister bottle, new hiding/perch rock, heat emitter for nights, sand, and I am not sure what else. Need to go wash sand.

Anne

9. My2heartboys

Merlin, is it normal for these guys to hibernate this time of year? If so, will setting up summer time conditions bring it out of hibernation?

Anne

10. Merlin

Yes. If in the wild this animal would be deep in a den somewhere.
    Considering that the lizard's care has not been the best up to this time hibernation is really not an option. It would probably not survive it.

11. My2heartboys

OK, will restoring summertime levels of heat bring it out of hibernation?

Anne

12. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Is he acting like he is hibernating now? How is he acting?

13. My2heartboys

If I were to guess, I would say he is trying to hibernate. He digs himself into the sand and doesn't come back up....not that he has much to come up for right now. I don't even have the proper food for it (it is still being shipped...ordered it last night).

Anne

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

digging is normal "nighttime" behavior for those animals, so I would tend to assume maybe the temps are a little low, since night is when it cools down.

15. My2heartboys

OK, well, I have a Repti-Glo bulb (yeah, I know it is not enough...the bulb is on order and is coming) in the lamp right now and I have just plugged the rock back in. I am still in the middle of washing and drying the sand to redo the tank. When I do manage to redo the tank, I will put a heating pad underneath it to heat the substrate a little. I plan on going with a CHE to provide supplemental heat during the night. I hope 40 watts is big enough. I wanted to get 100 watts, but the gal at the pet store said I would bake the poor critter.

Again, how to I go about getting it out of hibernation?

Anne

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

just warm him up. Don't try to feed while he's hibernating - their digestions slows down. Wait till he's 'awake' again.

17. Merlin

Once you get the temps up to a proper level, it will wake him up.

18. My2heartboys

OK, what temp is too high and what temp is too low?

Anne

19. Merlin

You don't want anything under 70 or anything over 105.
    Keep in mind that with 95-100 degrees as a baskng area there still needs to be a cool area where the lizard can cool down.

20. My2heartboys

Thanks, will focus on getting sand ready and when everything else arrives, I will change everything all at once. That way the poor thing gets disturbed only once.

Anne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.