This Disappears When Logged In

Hoping Someone Can Help.......

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Amandadc, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Amandadc

Amandadc Member

I thought I would come here because the internet isnt providing much help. My husband has three snakes and decided to start breeding mice to help with the cost of feeding. He bought two females and one male. One mom had her babies about 3 weeks ago and the other mom had her babies 6 days ago. The newest mom started twitching and jumping last night and this morning she is paralyzed and breathing really heavy. There are NO vets around here that care for mice and I can't kill her, my heart wont allow for that. I hate to see her suffering, especially since its been over 10 hrs of this. Her babies are hungry and I am trying to figure out the best way, or if it can be done without them being killed, to introduce the 6 day old babies to the mom of the 3 week old litter. Thanks in advance for your time

Amanda

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It would be the most humane thing to euthanize them now. No need in letting the poor mom suffer and the babies might have whatever is wrong with the mom so it would be best if they werent allowed to breed later. Plus the fact that the other mom may not accept the other's babies or she may not have enough milk to care for them all.
    Also keep in mind that if you try to introduce the others babies they may very well turn cannabalistic and the adults may eat the babies. It is more humane to just end their suffering now instead of let them die slow and agonizing deaths.

I am sorry that there isnt an easier way.

ps: what kind of bedding is he using?

3. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I dunno if it would be healthy for the snake or others but you can prob freeze them and use them as feeders.... just a thought.... but if is unhealthy to the animal someone can correct me.....

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

If the rodents were purchased for feeders why do you not want to feed the mom to a snake. It is more humane to use her and not let her suffer and go to waste. I doubt there is much that can be done for the babies as well. Snake will have no issues eating the mouse even if it has bad genes. Sorry about your situation but it really is more humane to stop the suffering of the animal.

5. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Long story short, I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I offered two large rats to a nine foot long Dumeril's Boa Constrictor and she bit one of the two and then released it and lost interest. So I had one healthy rat which is now my pet rat and one paralyzed rat which was bleeding out and slowly dying. I wanted to try and help him but he was not going to make it so I put him down. It was an extremely hard thing for me to do but it was best for the animal which was suffering. I think that you're in a similar situation. If you can't take it to a vet, you can't just let it suffer.