This Disappears When Logged In

Hook Worms

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by josh112990, Dec 23, 2009.

1. josh112990

josh112990 Well-Known Member

Trina had a vet appointment this past sunday the vet said she is in good condition until he did a fecal test and he found the larva or something from hook worms and so he gave me medicine to give to her called panacur i was wondering how bad this is and if the medicine should work? and if any body else has had any similar experiences with these nasty little parasites. any feed back is appreciated

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry, I don`t know which animal you have, but many wild-caught reptiles can carry parasites, internal and external, the treatment the vet gave you should do the trick.

3. josh112990

yes i forgot to add that trina is my cb 9 foot retic

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sometimes even the c/b get these worms, do you ever feed live or fresh killed prey items, maybe that could be one of the reasons, (if they had them)? But I think she will be fine after treatment, good luck!
    P.S. Have you put photos up before, I can`t remember?

5. boaterr

boaterr Well-Known Member

Panacur is a common dewormer, I used it to treat a wc anaconda that had tapeworms. It is very doubtful that a Retic would have hookworms unless it was wc. Where did you get your retic from and is she het for anything? People breeding normal Retics to other normals is rare, so many of the ones on the market are hets.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just because a snake is captive bred, that doesn't meant they can't have parasites.
    Hookworms are a very common parasite of mammals, even humans. They can be transmitted a variety of ways including the feeding of live rodents.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Panacur is a very broad de-wormer used on just about everything - sometimes including humans. It should do the trick nicely. And hookworms are pretty widespread parasite - you can probably get them from your snake if you are not careful. There are many sources your snake could have gotten them from. Live or fresh-killed food sources (freezing will kill parasites), close proximity to another infected animal, including a prey animal, exposure to the living space, feces, etc of an infected animal, time spent outdoors, especially on the ground could even be the culprit. Generally, hookworm is not a very dangerous thing to have. Short of a fecal test, it's often hard to tell your animal has them at all.

Wikipedia has an extensive article on it: Hookworm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Also, this is a friendly reminder to bring in another fecal sample 2 weeks after treatment to be checked out.

9. josh112990

i was just really worried about her i know parasites in general are bad and yes murindini i have posted pictures of her on here and yes she is cb she is het tiger i have seen and met both of her parents i cant recall who the owners of her parents are they are a big breeder of retics in the state of pennsylvania

10. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

in general parasites aren't a big deal, the only time they are is if you have a weakened animal that the parasites can breed out of control and can harm your animal. Normally an animals immune system keeps them in check. The meds should take care of it.