This Disappears When Logged In

Hog Island Boa Temperatures

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by Majora, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Majora

Majora Elite Member

So I got a Hog Island boa two weeks ago and he's been doing fine (ate and pooped once so far, due to eat again tomorrow). But as I read more and more care sheets for these guys I see more and more conflicting info on what temperatures they should be maintained at. The first couple care sheets I read said a basking spot of 90-95F and a cool side ambient temp of about 75... then I saw one on a popular boa forum that said the coolest ambient temp in the cage should be no lower than 82F?! Then I've seen some that say that basking temps should be no higher than 85-89F and the cool end should be in the low 70s... I have never researched a herp and got more conflicting information. I'm trying to look at as many sources as possible and aggregate the info but it's all different!

I'm currently keeping him in a 29 gallon tank with a screen lid wrapped in tinfoil, bedding is cypress mulch. I'm using an acurite thermo/hygro with a probe to measure temperature and humidity. At first I was just using a heat pad on one end and I was getting a basking temp of about 90, but the ambient temp on the cool end wouldn't get any higher than 73 and it just seemed too cold to me. I cut out a hole in the foil and put a heat lamp with a black bulb on the cage, and that's bumped the basking temp up to about 93 and the cool end temp up to 80. Everything's on dimmers/rheostats so I can adjust it if need be, but I don't really know what my goal temps should be? What is ideal for these boas?

Luckily I'm not having any issues with humidity and it's sitting steady at about 65%.

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

When I had one, I believe I had her at 90 hot side and around 78 cool side. She did great with it. I think you should be fine but I agree, there is so much conflicting info that it's confusing.

I think the main thing is how is she acting with it? Is she active, if she continues to eat, poop, etc I would say she is fine. If she stays at hot side 100% of the time, maybe bump up the temps a little. See if she likes it better and vice versa.

3. Majora

Majora Elite Member

Thanks for the advice! I have never had a boa before and have only dealt with balls and corns so this is a little new for me. Are they supposed to hide all the time like balls or be more active? So far I never see him out of his hides. I know he's thermoregulating because he moves from the warm side hide to the cool side hide, but he always goes straight from one hide to the other, he never roams around. He won't eat out in the open either, I have to leave the F/T mouse in the opening of whatever hide he's in and he drags it in gently and eats it. Lol. He's just a little baby so I know he's probably still stressed from the move, just wondering if it was normal for them to be so shy. I haven't been handling him or anything because I don't want to stress him further, at least until he's had a few more meals.

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Mine was an adult but he was out mostly in the evening not all the time maybe 50% of the time if I'm remembering correctly. I've had other boas too that hid in the hides a lot. So it's not uncommon but they are generally more active. It's probably just the newness of his house.

Congrats on him. they are beautiful!

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I'm generalizing too. At first he explored but then hid for a while. I had him for a few years but after he got used to it he was out about 50% of the time.

6. Majora

Majora Elite Member

Good to know. I won't be upset if he's just shy, since he's adorable either way, but it'd be nice to see him once in a while lol. I'll just give him more time to get used to things.

Here are some pics I took the night I brought him home. Not great ones but I didn't want to stress him too much. He's gorgeous, when he lightens up he has a lot of really bright pink and orange on his sides and belly. I've heard that their colors get lighter and brighter as they grow so I think he's gonna be a beautiful adult.

81ab152d-5102-4dce-abe4-28d101391ffd_zps5c1aee9f.jpg ba93d857-d07f-45ad-9516-607dec2a047e_zpsea61af19.jpg