This Disappears When Logged In

High Humidity

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by RomanLA, Apr 10, 2013.

1. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

Yep...my humidity is too high! lol It's running about 80% during the day, but when the heat and lights shut off it sky rockets to 99%! I'm leaving my water filter and heater running at night, which is the driving force. I considered having them shut off too, but my dragon likes to swim first thing in the morning and I don't want the water cold. I've got two grommets that can be removed where the cords go in up top. They really don't seem to make much of a difference though. Any suggestions?

IMG_1908.jpg

2. Zappa230

Zappa230 Elite Member

Aerate the tank better. You can get a screen lid, or you can drill small holes in the sides if you have a larger reptile.

3. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

It doesn't have a lid and it's all plexiglass, so drilling is pretty risky. I could pull off the top piece and maybe cut an inch off the top or something.

I guess I should post a link to my enclosure, since it's very different.
    Shower Enclosure

4. Zappa230

Zappa230 Elite Member

Oh, so you are the guy with the shower enclosure..... I don't know then, because I don't know how to aerate a shower.

5. PetMother

PetMother Elite Member

Is there anyway to put a fan near an opening to pull some of the humid air out?

6. OEW

OEW Elite Member

If the heater and filter are truly part of the problem..Maybe the heater and filter can be shut off at night, but you can have a timer turn them on a couple of hours before the lights turn on so the water can be warmer by the time he wakes up for a swim?

7. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

8. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

I've removed the grommets before and it didn't effect much. Last night, I removed them before everything shutdown though and it seemed to help. I also normally close the bathroom door most of the way in the evening, so we don't disturb him. Last night, I left it wide open though. Anyway, the end result was that it only went up to 89%. That seems a lot more reasonable. I'll just have to keep playing around with it I guess. The shower is in the corner of the house, so it's somewhat effected by outside temperatures. It has definitely kept things interesting. Thanks for the ideas!

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Having humidity above 80% for extended periods of time can lead to respiratory infections or if their furniture is always damp scale rot. If you could open up the top more that will help or install a can at the top to pull the air out.

10. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Does the bathroom have an exhaust fan? I don't know if that would help to leave the fan running at night or not

11. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member