This Disappears When Logged In

Hiding Baby Pacific Tree Frogs Not Eating

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by beverly, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beverly

beverly Member

Hi everyone! I have yet another question about the baby Pacific Tree frogs. 3 have gotten all of their legs and reabsorbed their tails (it's been about a week) yet they're all hiding along the top of their tank in the corners and are not eating. I've tried ants, fruit flies and various other tiny bugs. Onto my questions...

1) Why are they hiding so much?
    2) Why are they not eating?

Any information is greatly appreciated! :)

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

They are hiding because they don't feel secure. What do you have in the tank as far as décor?

3. beverly

beverly Member

I only have large rocks right now. Aside from the sand and water. I didn't have plants because I was waiting til they got bigger. Should I put in fake plastic plants or real ones? Is this why they're not eating?

4. schlegelbagel

yes, they NEED cover. In the wild they hide in plants for safety. If they don't feel secure, they won't leave their spots to eat. Add a cross branch for them too.

Real or fake plants are fine. Fake is sometimes easier.

And ditch the sand, its bad for them. Doesn't hold humidity and if eaten can cause impaction. Go for some organic potting soil or a brick of eco-earth ($4.50 at petsmart)

5. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Cover is definitely good, but when my guys were little they didn't go for the cover very often. They stayed at the uppermost part of the tank, and they had lots of pothos plants, fake plants and I even covered three sides of the tank.

I found that I had to put them in a hide-away corner in my house where they didn't so much activity, and they would eat when they wanted. Usually I only saw them at the top of the tank, but the food would disappear and the froglets would grow.

If its just at a week, it may still take a little time. Some of mine ate right away and some took a bit longer.

6. beverly

beverly Member

I redid the entire tank! They are hiding away nicely in some plants. One of them, the only one who NEVER hides ate an ant the other day. However, the other 3 are still refusing food. I put a shallow dish in the tank with some blood worms and they don't even seem to realize it's food. Should I try wingless fruit flies or pinhead crickets? I'm afraid the bugs will drown because I have a half water/half land tank setup.

I really don't want these little guys to starve!

7. schlegelbagel

Why do you have a half water/half land setup? They are tree frogs and only need a tiny dish of water. I would go with all substrate in the bottom and a small water dish. You can put pinhead crickets into a dish they can't climb out of. Hopefully the little frogs will find them.

8. beverly

beverly Member

One was still a tadpole with just his back legs so I wanted him to have water but also be able to get out. They are all full baby frogs now so I have changed the tank to all Eco Earth, plastic plants, water bowl, etc. They are now all happy, healthy and eating often now! Thanks everyone for the help!

9. schlegelbagel

Yay, sounds great!

10. beverly

beverly Member

I used all Eco Earth but I remember someone had suggested an organic potting soil/Eco Earth mix. Should I do that as well?

The good news is, none of them are hiding now and I often see them soak in their water dish. My only concern is that the Eco Earth gets stuck to the frogs and they look like they are covered in dirt. Some of them seem quite irritated by the "dirt" on them and are constantly trying to kick it off and wipe it off with their feet. Is the Eco Earth not moist enough or is is fine for them to be covered in it? Also, is it ok for them to eat? Some of them miss the wingless fruitflies and get a mouthful of the substrate. :p

11. schlegelbagel

Make sure the eco earth is pleanty wet and pack it down. That will keep it off of them, and less chance of it getting eaten. Its OK to get a tiny bit of dirt, but I wouldn't want them making a habit of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.