This Disappears When Logged In

Hide box size?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by titus, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I reacently bought my first monitor, a young Sav. thats about 15cm at the moment. I'm planing it's final cage that will be 2 X 1 X 1.5 M, but haven't found any imformation on how big the hide box should be my thought would be around 1 x 0.7 x 0.7 M.

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Sorry Titus wish I could help you. Hopefully someone will be along to answer your questions.

3. brandon

brandon Elite Member

Hi titus, that's my nephew's name by the way :) i am not a monitor but iguana owner. However I researched your topic since it was sorta left open and it looks like you need a hide box that will fit your size monitor and let him/her comfortably turn around in. My ig is about 9" svl and I use a large shoe box upside down with a hole cut into it. The box is about 10" by 12" and goes about 6" tall.

The important note is that the said hide box should increase in size to accomodate your pet. I don't believe there is a standard to the size as long as it gives the reptile what I call breathing room.

I hope this helps
    -brandon

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

With most terrestrial monitors they feel most secure with a hide that is just high enough for them to squeeze into. The sq footage should of course be as mentioned-large enough to turn around in.

5. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Thanks for all the input. After a speaking abit with a breeder in the area. I'm going to be adding a 1 x 0.5 m "RETES stack" as a hide/basking area. I'll be working it in with the cage and background to be a permenet part of the cage and dress it up abit. I've gone though my cut list, now just to get the ball rolling. I'll be posting as the construction begins.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

The Retes stack is an excellent way to provide optimum temperature gradients and security at the same time. However a hide is still required that would contain a higher moisture level.

7. Michael_C

Michael_C Elite Member

Varanus exanthematicus is a species that burrows. It needs a substrate that will support and is deep enough for this; in this manner, it can dig its own 'hide box' to its own specifications. Rule of thumb for depth of substrate is 50% of total length.

Temperature gradients are important, as mentioned, but there is plenty of outstanding German literature addressing the importance of this- going back almost a century. Much of the great literature on monitors is in German and available through DGHT (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Herpetologie und Terrarienkunde), such as the Monitor series done by AG-Warane und Krustenechsen der DGHT. Other great German literature includes Daniel Bennet's book Warane der Welt. Welt der Warane, and Bernd Eidenmüller's book Warane. Lebensweise-Pflege-Zucht along with Warane.

Cheers,
    Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.