This Disappears When Logged In

Hi New Bearded Dragon Owner

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Becky50, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Becky50

Becky50 Member

Okay for heating do I need to use two forms of light fahrenheit and a basking light should these lights be placed on two separate end of the enclosure I should also provide UV lighting in addition to the heating is that correct

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You seem to be confused. Fahrenheit is a temperature scale for heat and has nothing to do with light. And UVB light is a necessity.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, do you already have the dragon and if yes, can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure (it will make it easier to offer some advise if we can see the setup). Thanks!

5. Becky50

Becky50 Member

Thanks for the reply and yes am confused. I will put some pics up. I have just got so many different answers to my questions. I definitely got a lot to learn
    Also wondering about meal worms are they safe to fed? Have got many different answers on that
    She hasn't pooed in like three days and am a little worried.

6. Becky50

Becky50 Member

OK then does the heat light need to be on one end of enclosure and UVB on the other?

7. Merlin

Ideally they should be on the same end. Consider nature. Both heat and UV would be in the sunshine.

8. Becky50

Becky50 Member

Thank you I have read so many different things. Now what kind of blub should be used for heating? I was told a normal house hold bulb would work just fine. That doesn't sound right to me. Am sure there is a blub designed specifically for this purpose. However Petco was of very little help. Maybe I could order one online if I knew what was the proper one.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, please try and get a few photos up of the whole enclosure, it`s very difficult to offer advise on something we can`t see.
    As far as a suitable basking bulb, I use outdoor halogens (MUST be flood beam and you must use a ceramic bulb fixture).
    You may get them from a hardware store (l buy them on eBay), they are quite cheap and very efficient. I cannot tell you a specific wattage until I know the size of the enclosure and I see some photos of it.

You will need a par 30 or par 38 ("par" just means the bulb face diameter)...

mxcp020_zps63a7c6b5.jpg

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You will need to tell us what the ambient (air) temperature is and then the SURFACE temp on the basking object, also the humidity range and what type of thermometer/hygrometer you use to measure them.
    Mealworms are o.k to feed but they are not the most nourishing prey, I will give you some suggestions on diet when you`ve answered the questions on the conditions inside the enclosure.
    The dragon may not be defaecating because the temps are not quite right and it can`t digest the food properly (that will happen if the temps are too low).

11. Becky50

Becky50 Member

Ok now I truly think am in over my head with this. I really want this to work out. I just wish I had done way more research before I agreed to allow my son to have this dragon. Am willing to learn what is necessary but I must keep the cost minimal. We bought her from an individual who gave us a 40gal tank a light that has a place for two bulbs. A log and a water bowl. Now for your questions air temperature is about 78. Surface temp on basking spot I have no way of knowing. The only thermometer is a small on on the side of the tank and I do not know what a hygrometer is. So I obviously do not know the humidity range. Ok she did defaecate yesterday. We gave her a warm bath the night before. Am going to take some pictures to send to you now.

Attached Files:

12. Merlin

It can get confusing. But to be honest it doesn't have to be. The heating lamp is solely for heat and visible light. I stopped using pet shop basking bulbs 20 years ago! I have used regular household bulbs as well as Ceramic heat emitters for years. It doesn't have to be the halogens that Stephan prefers, although there is nothing wrong with those as well. Just a personal preference.

The only bulb concern is that you have a UVB generating bulb. That part is not negotiable.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think the thermometer is quite likely to be analogue which are often not very accurate, you need a digital hygrometer with probes (a hygrometer will measure the air temps and humidity), I believe you can buy them from Walmart for around $13. To accurately measure the surface temp of the basking object a digital "Temp-gun" is best, I don`t know the price in America but here in the U.K they can be bought for around £10 (approx. $15).
    I suspect you may also need to buy a UVB emitting tube, for a decent one you might pay over $50. The type I`m linking to are very efficient, there are cheaper alternatives.
    There will be other items you may need too, is the cost more than you can afford? Can you take a photo of the whole enclosure including a view of the top (I`m guessing it`s screen)?

Digital Thermometer & Hygrometer Combined Gauge with remote probes Max/Min | eBay

ARCADIA D3+ T5 REPTILE DESERT FLOURESCENT HIGH OUTPUT LIGHT TUBE 12% UVB 30% UVA | eBay
    ARCADIA REPTILE LIGHTING CONTROLLER IP64 T8 LIGHT UNIT DRY VIVARIUM | eBay

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  14. Becky50

Becky50 Member

OK am working on getting you some pics. Need my son to help me upload them. It make take a bit but they are coming I promise. I do have a uvb installed that much I do know. Thank all of you so much for helping me. I really am interested in having this dragon (Lizzy) I know real original huh but it fits. Oh maybe I should mention she only has three legs. It's kinda like a nub. And part of her tail is gone. Could never get straight story on why. Doesn't seem to bother her. She is very cool we like her alot. I just want to make sure she is OK .

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The halogen bulbs I`ve recommended are far superior as basking site bulbs than normal household incandescents because they direct the heat downwards rather than all around, they are quite cheap to buy (maybe $6 to $8 each?) and can last up to 3,000 hours, I would think any decent hardware store will sell them.