This Disappears When Logged In

Hi! Come and Say Hello to Huey!

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Huey08, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huey08

Huey08 Member

Hi! Please Come and Say Hello to little Huey!

Come and meet baby Huey, he's a 4 month old blue bar panther.

I'm a fairly new owner and I have some questions if you guys wouldn't mind.
    1) What time is the best time to feed him?
    2) I got a really expensive bulb ($99+) that does heat, uva, uvb, and it says it restores and maintains d3 levels. Does that mean I dust crickets and food with calcium that contains NO d3? He doesnt get much natural sunlight, just on the weekends when I take him out.
    3) Is it better to have heat on all the time and light on for only 10-12 hrs or have both on and off at the same time?

Thanks everyone!

Attached Files:

2. Hedge

Hedge Elite Member

That's one cool chameleon!
    As for the questions, I have no experience so im afraid I cant help!

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I know chams are overly sensative to TOO MUCH uvb. How much does yours put out? I know recommended is 5.0.

I don't know about the d3 question, someone will chime in.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HC! Huey is beautiful. What is the name of the UV light you purchased?

Turning the heat off at night isn't an issue if the temps are not getting too low. If you are using an air conditioner, or are planning to, you may want a night heat source to get a good gradient.

To my knowledge, chams are diurnal so feeding an hour or 2 after the lights have been turned on and the cham has had time to warm up would be sufficient. Someone with more experience with chams however will be able to provide more info.

Reptiles manufacture their own d3. I wont get into the process, but that UV light you have is how they do it. So long as they have access to unfiltered UVB, they will produce d3. (Which allows them to metabolise calcium.)

If you are using a quality light, you don't need to provide d3 as a supplement. truthfully, I don't know if chams are even capable of digesting d3 or if they are one of the reptiles that can. (Most basking species MUST get their UVB from a light source as their bodies can not extract it from their food.)

Chams are a low level UV reptile. They don't require a super high dose of UV to stay healthy. Are you providing plenty of foliage for the cham to retreat under or in if it opts to get out of the UV? If you aren't, you should be.

I hope you enjoy the site. :)

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome to the neighborhood!

6. Huey08

Huey08 Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! :)

schlegelbagel - I'm not sure exactly how much uvb my bulb puts out, but thanks for the tip on over exposure.

Rich - Thanks for all the info, the name of the bulb I purchased is T-Rex Active UV Heat Flood - 100 watt.

I know I got ripped off seeing as I could have gotten a bulb for 50 bucks, but he was well worth it so it's ok. Also, is it best if I were to get a heat source for at night? Would you guys recommend a ceramic heater that is in the same place as the bulb, or one of those rock heating beds?

Thanks again for the help everyone.

-Andrew

7. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Beautiful chameleon! :)
    Welcome to HC.

8. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

If you mean by hot rocks, NO! They burn reptiles and can cause severe burns. The ceramic heater or a blue or red night bulb would do the trick.

9. schlegelbagel

Ouch, $100 for just the bulb? That's insane.

10. Huey08

Huey08 Member

schlegelbagel - I know, tell me about it. I'm over it though, I just won't be shopping there again. I'm sure they knew I was a new guy and would be easier to rip off. :(

11. schlegelbagel

Online shopping is your best friend. :)

12. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I've had an adult veiled chameleon for almost a year. I use a Fluorescent uvb bulb for uv and use a basic black light for heat. The Fluorescent is on a 12 hour on\off timer, while the black light is on 24/7 (I like my home Cool during summer). I keep the black light in one corner of a screened enclosure while the uvb light is almost as wide as the enclosure. I think the two bulbs cost me around $32.00 the UVB being the most expensive at $25.00(- fixture). A fluorescent UVB bulb needs to be changed out about every six months though even though it doesn't burn out. The UVB output diminishes over time. They sell the long tubed uvb for aquarium like fixtures, but you can also buy the coiled fluorescent that will screw into any dome fixture as well. I hope you find this info helpful.

13. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

14. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Oh, By the way, I love that first pic! He looks like a little alien.

15. Huey08

Huey08 Member

Is it suggested to have 1 bulb for uvb and uvb lighting and then a separate one just for heat, or just a separate heat source all together? Thanks for dropping some knowledge guys, I really appreciate it.

16. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Don't mind crunch it too much.
    There is UVA, which is just visible light. A regular light bulb from the grocery store produces UVA.
    Then there is UVB. Any bulb that produces UVB also produces UVA but not all bulbs that produce UVA produce UVB.
    Not all UVB bulbs produce enough heat to warm your animal.
    So, you can either pay high dollar for one bulb that does everything. Or, you can pay much less for the two bulb solution. It all depends on how much money you want to spend.
    With the two bulbs, he can move to a cooler location but still get his UVB.

17. Huey08

Huey08 Member

Sorry, I'm just trying to learn as much as possible too fast. Alot of terminology and lingo I have to pick up. but thanks again for the help OG!

18. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

No reason to be sorry. Just relax. If he's healthy today, he's not going to die tommorow.

19. venus

venus Founding Member

Hes a cute, congrats and hope you find all the information you needed.

20. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Nice looking Cham. Try not to handle him too much as they are a nervous reptile and doing so will stress them out to the point of health issues.
    Something that is often overlooked in the keeping of Chameleons is the need for high humidity of 60-80 percent. Not easily accomplished in a screened enclosure. A misting system is pretty much a must for overall health. As well as a dripping system for drinking water as they will not drink water from a bowl.
    Something else maybe you've already read is to have different sizes of branches for them to grip. It's good for their feet to be able to adjust to the varying circumferences.
    Enjoy! Chams are very unique. I used to have a pair of Veileds. They sure leave marks on your arms from their grip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.