This Disappears When Logged In

Hey there!

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by LindsayBovshow, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey, i already posted in the introduction section, but i figured i'd post here as well because i have a RTB.

Was wondering how you gauge when it's time to feed your boa the next size of rodent. I've had mine since the beginning of July and i've been feeding him a white mouse every week.

Is there a section to post picture? i have tons of really cool ones that i'd like to share if you guys are interested. he's only a year and a half so he's not that big but he's beautiful and totally knows how to work a camera.

thanks !:)

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Welcome to HC,,,,,,I am a certified redtail freak (4 and counting) the general rule for prey size is to feed one thats the same size to 1 and 1/2 the size of the snakes fattest part.

3. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

Hi, welcome! What Ken said. I and my niece are also certifiable boa freaks.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

hi and welcome. You can post photos right in this thread. If you don't already have them hosted on a photo hosting site, you can upload them to our gallery.

:)

5. shutcheson33

shutcheson33 Member

Welcome from yet another boa freak. If you go a little too big dont worry, you'll be surprised at what they can choke down. Just allow him a couple extra days to digest.

6. Thanks for all of your help guys! I posted some pictures of the dude in the gallery, but i think i posted them in the wrong spot..i cant even find them anymore!

7. TDRobidoux

TDRobidoux Member

Just to let you know....the actual rule of feeding is 3 times the widest part of your snake. I have a 8 ft red tail and a 1 1/2 ft red tail and my young one is eating small adult mice (sometimes rat pups) and does it with no problems. He sheds about every 6 weeks. His name is Nagoni but it should be Houdini because he gets out of his tank on almost a daily basis. We have a snake room so if he gets out he wont get out or lost it is completely snake proof. I will post pics of my 2 red tails and my 8 other snakes too.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You are mistaken!
    The "rule" is 1 to 1 1/2 times the width of the snake's body at the widest part.
    By your standard if the snake is one inch thick you should be feeding something 3 inches thick!:eek:
    This would be far too large!

9. Disturbedcries87

Disturbedcries87 Elite Member

I was wondering about that "rule" to merlin :)

10. Merlin

LOL Yes thats the first time I have heard that one!

11. sprkn1

sprkn1 Active Member

In regards to size of prey, I think that it depends on what kind of snake it is. I would not try and feed my ammie or corns something that is 3 times the size of their widest part. But to a ball python or other big bodied boid, it does not seem to be much of a problem. Remember in the wild african rock pythons have been witnessed to catch and swallow deer! Look at the mouse, if it easily fits at the widest part of its body, if it easily fits, move on up. If not wait it out for another month or two. Also notice the lump after eating, is it noticeable, if not then you can move up prey size, if it is stick with what your feeding now.

12. Merlin

Yes but they may only feed once a year! Just because they CAN swallow something doesn't meant that they SHOULD.
    Prey that is too large will generally result in a regurgitation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.