This Disappears When Logged In

Heximita in a Cham???

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Wildflowernw, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildflowernw

Wildflowernw Elite Member

Now finished with parasite treatment with little if any improvement of Sarah (6-8 month Panther).

I finally contacted the breeder and he asked what parasite she tested positive for. Paperwork said Heximita so he looked it up. Heximita is more commonly know as Hole in the head disease, a problem that tropical fish can get. I looked for it on line myself and can't find it in anything other than Tropical fish.

So has anyone here heard of this? Or did somebody screw up the fecal? I have no fish.

Linda

2. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

It sounds like you should get a second opinion. I've heard of hole-in-the-head disease for fish, but never for anything else. Take a new sample to another vet and see what they say. Good luck.

3. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

That will explain why the treatment did not work.:(:mad:

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

From the Merck Veterinary manual
    Merck Veterinary Manual

5. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Ok now I know nothing!

What is - chelonians? I am not even going to try the rest of the words! What does this manual actually say Merlin, can Chameleons get this disease or is it then just snakes? :eek:

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL Chelonians are turtles.
    I just posted that to show that it can exist in reptiles and is not confined to fish.

7. Wildflowernw

She was treated with Metronidazole. Just waiting for the other (closer to home and cheaper)vet to open today. I still think the real source of the eating problem is her eyes. She keeps one or both closed a lot. Chams can't eat unless they're using both eyes.

Sarahs closed eyes and even when open she reaches for things in the air like she can't see.

I did mention my concerns to Vet number 1 but she seemed to stop looking for problems once the parasite problem was found. In fact everything was on hold till Sarah was tube fed and waiting for her to give up a sample.

Meanwhile Sarah won't eat on her own, keeps at least one eye closed and rubs her eyes from time to time.

8. Wildflowernw

Well, there is an eye problem and doubtful its caused by parasites. There is no trauma to her eyes and she isn't A deficient or anything like that.

Meanwhile on the bright side she's responding well to her feedings.

I noticed she had no color change (stress) tonight during her feeding.

9. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

That is good news! Is she on a different kind of meds now?

10. Wildflowernw

Yes, we're treating her eyes now but outcome is unclear right now. I'm just glad she's cooperating with me.

11. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

So she had parasites and a problem with her eyes or did the parasites cause the eye problem? Is the parasites gone?

Did you take her to another vet? Sorry for so many questions, I am just concerned for her.

12. herpdoc

herpdoc New Member

Actually, Hexamita can cause eye problems in chameleons (same parasite), so it is very likely that the two are related. Treatment is a very slow process in chameleons, may take multiple weeks, and recurrance is common if husbandry items are not corrected concurrently.

You may want to ask your new vet how that can occur.

Dr. Adolf Maas, DVM
    Avian and Exotic Animal Hospital
    Bothell, Wa.

13. Wildflowernw

Need to take a stool sample Linky. When I took her in on Monday I had just done a thorough cage cleaning Sunday afternoon. So when I took her in, she still wasn't ready to share a sample. I will get one in tomorrow though.

She ate real well again tonight. Seemed comfortable in hand. When I started feeding her back when the trouble started she turned cocoa brown when I handled her. Now her color stays nice and bright with the slightest hint of blueish green.

This has got to be so stressful for her, hard to tell what she's thinking but she's not displaying anything near the level of stress as she did before. Must be terrifying to be an animal the depends so much on sight to not have any. I can tell she can see shadows or big things.

FYI, you can see in my aviator (thats Sarah) that the eyes just don't look "right".

14. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I am glad to hear that she ate and are a little bit less stressed. I wish her well and good luck to you.;) Please keep me updated.

15. Wildflowernw

Sarah update, still doing fine and looks like she gained some more weight back.

So anybody... How often should our pets be checked for parasites?

I have acquired quite the selection of herps and we all understand the need to keep costs down. I also know that this is preventative care and very necessary

16. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

glad to hear Sarah is doing better, we have an appointment next week for everyone to get fecals done, & our annual check-ups :)

17. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Wonderful news!;) I would say that a yearly checkup is good, unless if you are paranoid like me then you visit the vet whenever something feels wrong.:rolleyes:

18. Wildflowernw

Update! Stool sample was negative. Other than that not much change as far as I can tell. L.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.