This Disappears When Logged In

He's here!!

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Bitis Gabonica, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

We have the ceramic on timer, 12-12 right now. He is in the "reptile room" so ambient temp at night is about 70f, but he also has the uth which will add a little heat.

That's definately the best idea.. you don't want to be messing around trying to get temps right when you have your little baby in there.

2. Rocky's Dad

Rocky's Dad Elite Member

Thanks for answering all these questions - helps me understand if I'm on the right path. 1 more - the uth you mentioned as "background heat" - is it under the cage like I have them for my snakes, or elsewhere? And do you leave this on 24hrs a day, then basking spot heater and UVB as you've described? With my snakes I leave the uth's on all the time...

3. Bitis Gabonica

Not a problem - that's what we're here for! We have the UHT on all the time, and it's underneath the cage, but I'm not sure how much heat it is actually providing. The ceramic and UV are on 12/12, however last night was particularly cold here so we left the ceramic on. :)

4. Rocky's Dad

Rocky's Dad Elite Member

Here in Chicago, as well - brrrrr! Thanks - this is consistent with what I've been doing for my snakes and leo, minus the UVB... At least that part of it will be familiar! ;)

Oh - do have a link for the cage you use? I don't think I've seen that one... been looking at this: http://www.exoticlizards.com/cage-packages.html

5. Bitis Gabonica

That's very similar to the cages we have,. I don't think Terry Thatcher supplies to the U.S. but the ones you are looking at are pretty much the same, and I believe there may be other producers of similar cages. Here's the link to the Terry Thatcher website: Terry Thatcher cages

6. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

He is SOOOOOOO cute! Congratulations! :)

7. Bitis Gabonica

Thanks Juliane! I'm addicted to him, he's so sweet!

Yesterday was first-feeding day for us, and he would not let us catch him to get him out of the tank!! :p So we reluctantly threw in a handful of tiny crickets (grrr now they're going to escape out of the holes and infest the house!! :D ). Didn't actually see him eat, he was very wary of our presence, but we did see him stick out that fantastic tongue to try and catch a cricket, so we know he's going for food! He's being very active and climbing all over the mesh! - all good signs of good health! Will get some more photos as long as he doesn't turn his stress colours again!! :)

8. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

Rachel....my turn....I want I want... :)

He's adorable, congrats

9. Bitis Gabonica

Thanks Toni! :)

Here are some more pics that I took today, much to the little guy's disapproval.. he has a thing for throwing out his front legs and diving into thin air, which he did today right out of his cage onto the floor! :eek: Luckily he was fine, a little stressed but ok. Seems to think he is a monkey - his favourite sleeping spot is upside down on the mesh roof! :p

Attached Files:

10. Rocky's Dad

Rocky's Dad Elite Member

Great shots! He definitely has the look that he's "too cool for school"! ;) :D

11. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

OMG Rachel, poor little fella, I just have visions of him doing super dives, bless him, he is sooo gorgeous, he looks sad on the last two pics, but then again they have sad faces eh, same with Champ hes been climbing around the mesh today, I was holding my breath thinking he was going to fall, he was swinging his tail about trying to find something to grip, they get into some scrapes don't they lol :rolleyes:

12. Bitis Gabonica

Lol :D Doesn't he just Rocky's dad! :p He's definately going to be a mischevious juvenile!! ;)

Ah Donna, don't worry.. he just needs to realise that when he moves forward he has to wait for something to hold on to, not dive into the air.. maybe he wants to be a stunt man :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.