This Disappears When Logged In

He's here!!

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Bitis Gabonica, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

We just picked up our newest addition.. a 6/7 week old male veiled cham,. he is so adorable and so tiny I think we might lose him amongst all the plants in his cage! :p Was only able to get a couple of quick shots as it was bedtime by the time we got home, and he is a sleepy little boy, didn't want to stress him out too much! He picked us rather than vice versa, he climbed onto my finger and went straight to sleep - very trusting and very sweet little fella! Here's a couple of pics.. I'm in love! :p

Attached Files:

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,
    Great pics! Congrats on the new addition.

P.S. Rachel, you know I love ya too! :D

3. Rocky's Dad

Rocky's Dad Elite Member

Congrats! What a cute little guy!! We were out looking at Panthers today and saw a bunch about that size, but we're not ready yet - still doing my learning and working out the cage etc. Maybe in a few weeks...

Enjoy the new addition - looking forward to updates and more pictures! ;)

4. Bitis Gabonica

Thanks guys! Rocky's Dad - you should definately read up on the chams and add one to your family, they are beautiful lizards. Not really a hands-on lizard but stunning and extremely fascinating to watch and look at!! :) Hopefully this little guy will continue to be as friendly as he was when he initially met my finger :p

Ah, Rich, you make me blush :p

More pics to follow... :)

5. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

OMG Rachel, he is sooooooooo cute, what a little beauty :D how was he on the journey home? he is just so gorgeous, wow, :D and tiny :p

And congratulation on your new little guy :D

6. Bitis Gabonica

Isn't he just Donna?!?? I'm soooo in love with him!!:D
    On the way home? - he slept!! We put him in a small plastic carry cage with a plant and with some coaxing he climbed in off my finger and went to sleep on a leaf!! How cute!! So, when you coming to visit him?!?? :D

P.S. Names welcome!! I think he needs a special name. I had suggested Austin but Joe isn't keen hehe, he wants to call him Chad!!! :D

7. Rocky's Dad

Rocky's Dad Elite Member

Absolutely - I realize that chams are a huge step up in terms of care from my snakes and leo ;) . Been doing a lot of research - had actually talked myself out of it at one point, but the more I read, etc, the more I feel we can do this, so long as we know what he needs and work hard at it. Still have some books coming, etc, but I think I know what I need to do now and how to go about it. And now that I have found a breeder where I don't have to ship, that makes me feel much more comfortable. Would love any tips from you-all, however on cage setups etc...

Do you use drip setups or just mist a few times daily and shower periodically?

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

How cute,,,,completely adorable Rachel and Joe,,,,,congrats

9. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

very soon i hope, but then he might fall in love with me, and visa versa, then what will i do lol :D

10. Bitis Gabonica

Thanks Ken! He is so adorable I can't stop peeking in at him! :p

That is so commendable of you - so many people buy animals these days without doing the proper research on their care beforehand, well done for gathering all the facts and info first. I'm sure you will be ready for a cham once you decide to get one! :) Any questions you know where to come - I think we have the best members of any forum on here! :) Panther care is a little different to veiled but the basics are generally similar. Right now we just have a water bowl and we will be misting the cage daily to keep the humidity right - veileds need slightly lower humidity and will do well with daily mistings, our house is quite humid most of the time as well which helps!! When he grows into his adult cage we have a waterfall for him, which will also help keep the humidity levels right, but damp towels placed on top of the cage, large water bowls, and dripper and misting systems are also great! You could also place ice cubes on top of the cage so that as they melt they increase the humidity, but it's best to place these where they are not likely to drip directly onto the cham - misting is also best aimed around the cage onto plants and decor, where the cham can drink from, as direct misting is not advised. :)

11. Rocky's Dad

Rocky's Dad Elite Member

Thanks - I will have lots of questions, I'm sure. My wife says I'm obsessive/compulsive, and she may be right.. ;) I guess I don't do things half-way, but that's how it should be, right???!!?

I'll keep everyone posted on our progress. My wife has bought-in, and I told her I need help with the plants, etc. My son is "in" too, but (ahem) what's a seven year-old not into? "His" herps have become mine :eek: .

BTW - names - with a veiled, I'm thinking, "Fynn" or "Jaws"... ;)

12. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Rach, I love the pics. What a little thing he is. I too have been looking into a cham but with just taking on the dart frogs I think I had better wait.

Im looking forward to the followup in the morning as well. :)

13. venus

venus Founding Member

congrats on the newbie Rach. Totally cute. How big do they get?

14. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

I never really likes chameleons, but this one is sooooo cute!

15. Bitis Gabonica

Thanks guys! First thing I did when I woke up this morning was go in to switch on the little fella's lights and check him out - he's very calm and such a sweetie! Couldn't resist putting in my hand to make sure he was still his sweet self and he climbed straight on!! :p I must must resist for a while though as he settles in, since they do have an easily-stressed tendancy.

Marsha, females are smaller than males, maxing out around 10-14" while males grow to 17-24", and they can reach adult size by 6-8 months.

Names, names.. hmm lol Jaws is just commical if you look at this little fella's cute eyes looking at you :p

16. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Awww Rach, I keep going looking at his picture, hes adorable, :p wish champ was nice natured lol, after he attacked Chris yesterday, think we will leave him to get on with things lol

17. Bitis Gabonica

Hehehe Champ did make me giggle!!! :p Our little cutie is not so trusting today, and keeps running away from me and changing colour, but he will have to come out sooner or later for feeding time, as the tiny crickets will just escape from the cage and I don't think he would catch them amongst all the hiding places and plants we have provided. :)

18. Rocky's Dad

Rocky's Dad Elite Member

How big is the enclosure you have him in now, and how long until you upsize? The panthers I am considering are about that size and I'm trying to determine if I need a smaller cage for the first 5 or 6 months and then upsize... I think eventually I will want one that's 4 ft or higher so we can have a few potted plants and really have a setup that gives lots of microclimates. The question is - isn't that too big for a little guy like that?

19. Bitis Gabonica

I would say that you would be best getting a smaller cage to begin with and then upgrading. The cage our little one is in right now is approx. 18" wide x 12" deep x 18" high. The adult cage we have for him is 2' x 2' x 3'. Not exactly sure when we will need to upgrade him, just as and when he gets big enough, but chams can reach adult size in 6-8 months, 12months at max, so his current cage will do him just fine for the next few months.

We have Terry Thatcher aluminium mesh cages, and for heat we are using a ceramic heater on a thermostat, suspended externally a couple of inches above the basking spot. We also have a UHT for background heat, and an 18" UV tube on top of the cage. :)

20. Rocky's Dad

Rocky's Dad Elite Member

Do you leave the ceramic on all the time or have it on a timer? Most of the care sheets, etc. I have seen recommend a 10 -15 degree drop at night. I suppose you could accomplish this by having UVB and basking spot heater on a timer and on for a 10-12hr period and then off over night? (ambient temp in my house is 69-70 degrees overnight) I plan on getting one of those laser-sighted digital thermometers and running the cage setup for a few days to get things right before I bring a little guy home...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.