This Disappears When Logged In

He's a Dream.

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Iggysmommie, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Ophion's got to be the best snake out there hands down. He's a dream to work with, not nippy in the least. I handle him every morning when I get home except for the day before and two days after eating and so far no a hint of a problem. His temps are 78F at night and 85F day and his humidity stays in between 70 to 80%. Hes very active at night from around 11 pm to 3-4 am, and as I said just a dream. I only have a few concerns.... getting him off of live prey and how big that prey should be right now. Now my idea for changing over his choice of living prey is I feed him live for say 4 weeks and then try F/K? as soon as I get him to take that for a few weeks I try F/T? does that sound good? As for the size I got him a good sized fuzzy last monday and he took it with no problems, it almost seemed to slide right down and his body bump was gone in just a few hours. The mouse was about the same girth as he is so should I try a bit bigger? The fuzzy was almost considered a hopper already. or wait and just go with the smaller meals for now? Its been about ten years since I have had a snake let alone a long time since having a hatchling sized one so I am a little leery on this, any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds like you need to increase the prey.
    As for switching to F/T I would go ahead and do it now since he is feeding fine.

3. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree with Merlin. Try F/T at the next feeding. As long as the mouse is warm enough and you wiggle it a bit with some feeding tongs, she might just surprise you and take it. Rainbow boas are usually great eaters.

We always feed our snakes by weight. If you can weigh your little guy on a letter scale or kitchen scale, then buy f/t mice that are about 10-15% of his body weight, you should do fine. (two smaller mice would work as well.) Our hatchlings are about 80-90grams now and we feed them 8-9 g fuzzies once a week. Going by weight, you don't have to guess each time, and you can order your F/T mice and increase the prey size predictably as he grows.