This Disappears When Logged In

Herp Keeper Challenges

Discussion in 'General' started by Microscope Jockey, Nov 10, 2004.

?

Which aspect of herp keeping is the biggest challenge for you?

1. Temps

12 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. Humidity

11 vote(s)
    10.4%
  3. Feeding

7 vote(s)
    6.6%
  4. Lighting

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Shedding

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  6. Breeding

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  7. Caging

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Hmmm, I think it's all good fun

13 vote(s)
    12.3%
  9. Trying not to get MORE herps

50 vote(s)
    47.2%
  10. No opinion at this time

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moldypotato

Moldypotato Elite Member

Trying not to buy more herps!!!!
    Mj, you always make these polls so why don't you give us your thoughts?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Aw Heather just likes to stir things up then run away! :p :p :p

3. SpeacilK

SpeacilK Elite Member

thats always fun.lol. i voted trying not to get more. i follow the -12 step program. it works the exact opposite as the 12 step program, only bad part is you have to walk backwards from the vendors table to check out.lol

4. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

I consider making my herps as comfortable as possible the biggest challenge. Im always working to improve it.

5. Venomous

Venomous Member

trying to make a cage big enough for 3 green iguanas can be a problem . :)

6. Ebone' Patton

Ebone' Patton Well-Known Member

Feeding is a problem for me. Eat eat eat!!! That's all they seem to want. But I love them so much I want more herps. That's turning out to be a problem though. Getting a bigger house soon.

7. deltro_star

deltro_star Elite Member

For me it's DEFINETLEY not buying more herps! Especially after joining this Forum!! :D I see so many great pics and I always seem to want to broaden my collection more and more!

8. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Not buying more of those cute little babes!!And humidity,specially at shedding times.But all is fun and a great and wonderful hobby!
    I'm always figuring out how to build my cages to fit all my babies in one room!

9. CallaLily42

CallaLily42 Member

I think it's all great fun. I get a huge amount of satisfaction from caring for animals that are so amazing in every way.

10. mookins

mookins Elite Member

definately trying not to buy more!!! after that, it would be trying to keep humidity up.. that one can be a bit of a hassle!!

11. allie&shadwell

allie&shadwell Elite Member

Temperature is a difficulty. Where I live, the late spring/summer/early fall temps are between 20-35 degrees celsius [70-100 degrees fahrenheit], and in the winter, the temps drop as low as 40 below celsius [25 below fahrenheit] and sometimes even colder, not including windchill. And we try to keep the heating bill moderate, wearing sweaters instead of turning up the heat instead of turning up the thermostat to 80. It's become more difficult since I obtained a lizard. :(

12. Brittone05

Brittone05 Elite Member

The worst part for me is resisting getting more and more and more .........

I enjoy the whole care thing though. Feeding (although I don't enjoy fonding crix in my bed!!), heating, lighting, humidity etc are all part of the package so I may as well take pleasure from knowing I'm doing it right - right??

I do struggle with the whole humidity thing from time to time. Obviously a lot of the stuff available in the US is difficult to get hold of over here - no-one has ever heard of an automated misting unit!! But I tackle the problems as they come and hopefully care for my babies to the best of my ability.

13. Demonic_Rage

Demonic_Rage Elite Member

I would have to say that it is feeding. As all of us Ball python lovers know. Or if you dont your very lucky. Other than that I look forward to the challenges. It keeps us on our toes.

14. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I'd have to say breeding, the only time I've ever successfully bred any herp was when I had brown anoles, and that wasn't even on purpose, though I did get a clutch of leopard gecko eggs once. Right now, my babies really are babies so breeding them would be impossible for now.:D

15. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

Geez, I think now, not getting more would have to be at the top of my list, I retract my last statement lol.

16. Queen 'O Green

Queen 'O Green Elite Member

My room is basically made of cement... so keeping my cage the right tempeture is a nightmare! At night it drops to, like, 60... during the day it can get up to 80. My poor snake. I need to get one of those thermostats.

17. Caleb the Herper

Caleb the Herper Active Member

when i get paid, the first thing i do is go to the pet store. It is unbelievable how much i want to buy every animal. It's like they are telling me "buy us, buy us!"

18. joe_crash

joe_crash Active Member

I would have to say that humidity is the most constant worry of mine when it comes to keeping my snakes. Everything else is just fun for me. Also when I go to reptile shows, it's very hard not to walk out of there with a new snake or two. LOL!!! If my wife would let me, I'd have the whole house full of them. I already have an entire bed room filled, but you know how that goes...there's never enough!

19. wickedleos

wickedleos Member

lol defo trying not to get more, but i think it's a while yet before i say, thats it i'm done lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.