This Disappears When Logged In

Help!

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by michaela, May 14, 2015.

1. Helios

Helios Elite Member

An aside back-tracking to force feeding: It's generally only done as a last resort because it is very stressful. It can get an animal eating again, but it's critical you are very careful and comfortable doing it in order for it to succeed.
    Also, don't beat yourself up. If you've kept this gecko for three years and this problem is just now occurring you aren't failing. Even the most experienced keepers still have to contend with illnesses from time to time.
    One of your best bets is also to try and figure out what changed around of before the time this happened. If it's environmental, something around that time was altered.
    Are you 100% positive the gecko has eaten nothing in 3 weeks? Sure some snakes or amphibians can go that long without food, but I'm fairly certain a lizard would already be a goner without food for that long.
    You can try Exo-terra vitamin D3/Electrolytes in the water dish and soak the gecko to help combat potential dehydration.
    Have you considered the possibility of an impaction? Have you noticed any changes or abnormalities on the gecko's skin?

2. Helios

Helios Elite Member

Similarly, how old is the gecko? Do you have any idea?

3. michaela

michaela Member

That makes me feel better! Thank you. Nothing has changed that I am aware of I do my best to keep his life consistent, we did move four months ago but he didn't seem to mind and was acting just fine and adjusted well from what I could tell. I am nearly certain he hasn't, I havent seen him touch a cricket, he even let's them walk on his face! He always gets excited when its feeding time and he doesn't even budge now. I finally got him to drink water yesterday so that is a plus. I did notice that his pupils are dialted. They are generally small slivers and are quite thick now. His skin looks the same, his toes are starting to go in weird positions but that just started a few days ago.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m in the U.K so it may be getting too late to answer again today (friday), but I`ll be back online tomorrow.
    I asked which country you live in because I was going to recommend a more efficient hygrometer.
    Just because he`s survived in these conditions for 3 years doesn`t necessarily mean they are supportive, just a few degrees too high or low, too much or too little humidity etc will cause health issues. You say he`s always "regulated" his food intake which could indicate something`s not quite right in the environment.
    There seems to be very little info available on these animals with regards to their captive care (not easy for you or us to know what`s best)...

5. michaela

michaela Member

He is about 5 or 6, I've had him for just over three years and he was around two when I got him. That's what the original owner said. I live in western Canada.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, most reptiles can go many weeks, even months without food.
    How will soaking the lizard help to keep it hydrated?

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m guessing you have "Walmart" in Canada? If yes, you can buy a digital hygrometer for around $13 U.S, I believe a popular brand is "Accurite", it`s absolutely urgent that you get accurate temp and humidity readings.

8. michaela

michaela Member

I do have a Walmart, I will go up there tonight and see if I can find one. The only brand our pet stores sell is exotera and it was what I was told was best.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The petshops will tell you almost anything to make a sale!
    If you can get some accurate readings it will indicate if this is mainly about the temps etc not being quite right in which case hopefully he will recover quite quickly.
    Please do NOT try force feeding or soaking the lizard just now (you said he drank voluntarily yesterday anyway).
    Just to explain, soaking will do nothing to rehydrate them unless they actually ingest the water, they CANNOT absorb it through the cloaca as is sometimes claimed, or through their skin.

10. michaela

michaela Member

I actually did know that! It was one of the first things I learned about him :) the guy there actually owns a number of reptiles himself and is friends with my brother. I didn't really even have to pay much for it so I trusted that he wasn't lying. It's what he and my brother use and all their reptiles are happy and healthy. I really hope he recovers I will ensure his temps and such are okay with another meter. If his condition worses I think the sad decision will have to be made. He is in very poor condition and I just can't allow him to live that way.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If your brother and the petshop guy only use analogue gauges their animals may NOT be all that healthy! If their core body temp is even a couple of degrees too low for extended periods it will compromise their immune system (they may look healthy on the outside but inside things aren`t so great).
    What matters just now is that YOUR lizard has the conditions it needs to thrive.
    I need to log out very soon, keep giving updates.

12. michaela

michaela Member

They use a combination from my observation. Anyways, I will do. I've followed all steps from my research(well from the general lack there of what I could get) and spoke with a family member out of province who works in a place that specializes in exotics(has a few herself) so I surley hope and would expect that his environment would suit his needs. I am always willing to learn and gain more and or new knowledge so if somehow I have missed anything I would love to know!

13. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

When you go out to get the thermometer/hygrometer combo do not look for it in the pet department. It will be either with other outdoor thermometers in the garden center (most likely)or over in the home maintenance goods like dehumidifiers.

14. Helios

Helios Elite Member

I'm not looking to argue, but yeah I'm aware most snakes or reptiles with metabolisms that function similarly can, but a gecko under regular conditions/that isn't brumating?
    The exo-terra mix just contains electrolytes. So yeah, dehydration is the wrong word choice I guess, but since electrolyte depletion and dehydration can often go hand-in-hand it can help jump start things if that's an issue.

15. Helios

Helios Elite Member

Michaela: there's really no way we'd know if this is the issue, but if the gecko is that old it's not a crazy idea that it's reaching the end of its lifespan. Honestly though, I have no idea what the lifespan of that species is like, so that's a shot in the dark idea.
    Like Murrindindi (sorry if I spelled it wrong) has pointed out, verifying the humidity of your enclosure is important. Not saying that isn't the issue because it very well could be, but if your enclosure really has remained 100% the same for three years it would seem strange to me that a factor like that would suddenly be a problem if it had been inadequate already.
    As far as euthanizing I personally would not recommend you do that. Since you don't really know what's wrong it's entirely possible your gecko will recover still.
    There's something to the issue of the pupil dilation... if they're usually really thin slits during the day it's a nocturnal species. You may know that/this, but they would normally dilate at night. If you're seeing that during the day, that's also pretty off from normal...

16. michaela

michaela Member

I can guarantee that his environment has been the same and consistent.

I really don't want to see him go but it is so sad to watch him like this. That is truly a last resort. I'm open to all options in trying.
    The second male that came with him is a few years older and thriving, living in a ultimately identical environment. From my understanding they do live a fair amount of time but given his start to life it's likely that time could/has been cut short.

I went to Walmart and stopped at our local chain petstore as the locally owned one is closed. No luck in getting digital thermometers but I'm going to swing by a few places when I head back into town tomorrow. And if that's not a go I will just order some! He seems to have a slight amount more energy today.
    I am also aware that he is nocturnal. That is why the dilation in the pupil seemed off to me. Its relatively the same today. I'm speaking with a vet student I'm acquainted with but there is just a general lack of information to really get many answers.

17. arojas7112

arojas7112 Established Member

Just curious, what do use for a substrate? Is it possible he is impacted? Especially since you feed live crickets, maybe he ate something else if you use bark or sand as a substrate? I experienced the same situation your describing a long time ago with a baby uromastyx. Previous owner kept him in repti-sand and he stopped eating due to impaction. Luckily, he made it so hopefully your guy makes it as well.

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You have missed something for 3 years, you`ve used an analogue gauge which is quiet likely to be inaccurate! You stated earlier that the lizard has always "regulated" it`s feeding, that suggests something was not right.
    The fact he/she has survived that length of time is not particularly surprising, they endure some pretty harsh conditions in the wild at times.
    Until you get accurate temp and humidity reading you/we cannot rule out the possibility that it`s something to do with those.
    Some Geckos can live over 20 years, and if this species has a similar lifespan you have a relatively young animal.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, I don`t think you are "arguing" with me, if you have a different opinion you are entitled to express it.
    What`s the difference in the Gecko`s metabolism compared to many other lizards, and what are "regular conditions" for this animal (there`s an extremely limited amount of info on their wild or captive needs)?

20. michaela

michaela Member

It is common for his species to regulate there eating. They aren't a gorging animal, they eat when they are hungry. I know five of his species and this is something all of them do. Including ones kept with digital readers. There is little information on them to begin with. I do know some things about the species I didn't just
    I ultimately intimidate what environment
    I think you are misunderstaing what I'm saying about the regulation. This is normal for his species. As they don't gorge, this I do know for fact as anyone-owner, veterinarian or what have you has stated this as common and normal. I did get digital meters today and they read the same as my analogue so environment can't be the issue. As he is kept in a environment suited to where he comes from I don't see how that would be the issue. I'm brining a veteraniarian in from another town to look at him and will keep everyone updated.