This Disappears When Logged In

Help!

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by michaela, May 14, 2015.

1. michaela

michaela Member

My Grossmanni stopped eating about three weeks ago. He looks like an absolute skeleton. And I don't know what to do, he is starting to move weird for the lack of nutrition. What could be wrong? I have tried deworming him, maybe he needs more? HELP?!

2. Helios

Helios Elite Member

Hi Michaela,

Generally in trying to offer assistance via a forum, it's helpful if we have details about the way you're keeping the gecko: ie, enclosure, humidity, temps, etc. In this case, if your gecko has really not had any or very little food for three weeks, you need to get to a vet asap. I don't mean to alarm you, but the reality is you may not have much time.
    That said, if you want to provide additional details I'm sure we would be happy to try and help you figure out what's gone on. Hope he recovers.

-Weston

3. michaela

michaela Member

We do not have veterinarians in my area that assist in reptiles or really many exotics.w
    we do not have veteeinrians in my area that assist in reptiles or exotics at all for that matter. His tank sits at about 25-35 degrees celcius. Humidity is around 60%. He is kept in a standard tank it about 35gl. He has always been fed crickets as anything else I have offered he won't take. He had an extremely bad start to life but I have had him now for nearly three years. He hardly moves and looks so different. Should I euthanize him? Is it too late? I have been trying everything I can think of but there is little information about this species.

4. michaela

michaela Member

He had also stopped drinking water, he started drinking again yesterday. He is weak and basically emaciated. It all happened so fast, I feel like it somehow my fault. If there is little to no hope I don't want him to suffer anymore. How would I go about with if that is the best option? I've never had to do this with a reptile before. I've never had a pet get this sick to be honest. Not in a way i couldn't help or a way I didn't know what it was.

5. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

GEt a small syringe and some baby food and start force feeding if you can not get him to a vet.
    Get the smallest syringe you can.
    And most Vets may not be reptile experts, most will look at them at least.

Helios likes this.
  6. michaela

michaela Member

What kind of baby food? Meat protein or a vegetable and fruit one? Would an infant seringe work? Is there anything I can put in his water that he can drink to get nutrients? Thank you for the help thus far

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure (and the lizard without disturbing it too much)?
    I do not recommend force feeding (it`s extremely stressful and the immune system is already compromised), if the animal has a health problem food may not necessarily help just now.
    I`d also like to ask how you measure the temps and humidity?

8. michaela

michaela Member

I
    I have the exotera thermomitor and humidity thing. I don't have any full photos of the tank but I have a few upclose pictures. They aren't very good my camera on my phone sucks. I will upload when I get off work.

9. michaela

michaela Member

I have kept everything consistent since I adopted him three years ago, no change in environment and no change in his food. He just stopped eating, he does this sometimes for maybe a week but not this long. Over the last week he looks emaciated he is half the size he normally would be. I don't want him to suffer anymore :(

10. michaela

michaela Member

As you can see his bones are protruding, this just happened over the last few days. Can he be helped? At this point I have tried anything I can come up with, I'm feeling euthanasia would be best but don't want to if he has a chance. I just don't want him suffering anymore. I took him in to give him a better life than he had and I feel like I'm failing him

Attached Files:

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I don`t know the brand, is it a digital hygrometer or analogue?

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If the Gecko was in good physical condition just a few days ago there`s something seriously wrong, do you have any photos of him from a week or so ago?

13. michaela

michaela Member

I don't, he was getting thin over the past few weeks but not at a level like this. He often self regulates and loses a bit. This is going on a month of refusing to eat :(

14. michaela

michaela Member

Analogue

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What do you mean "self regulates"?

16. michaela

michaela Member

Self regulates his eating. As in he isn't like some animals that gorge. He regulates himself and only eats if he is actually hungry. That has always been normal. For a few days or week at most. I've tried changing his protein, deworming, I bought a new UV. I'm lost as to what to do.

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You haven`t said if the hygrometer is analogue or digital, and why did you deworm, also what type of UVB bulb/tube are you using?

mshrmheadcharge likes this.
  18. michaela

michaela Member

Its analogue. I dewormed him as it was what was suspected originally as the problem. As he was losing some weight and wasn't eating. I'm not sure I bought it at the pet store, the gentlemen working there selected it for me.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The analogue gauges can be quite inaccurate (as much as 15%+) which means you/we have no idea what the temps and humidity really are.
    How did the petshop man decide on the dosage of the dewormer?
    I think there`s a chance the lack of appetite may be due to the conditions in the enclosure.
    Even if the photos aren`t that great can you take a few of the whole enclosure anyway and put them up, and I`d like to ask what type of heating are you using?
    May I ask which country you live in?

20. michaela

michaela Member

Its an exotera heating pad, his environment hasn't ever changed in three years I have had him. He originally came in a dessert themed mesh cage with another male grossmanni and three anoles. He was in rough shape! I have fake and live plants, I use peetmoss as the 'bedding'. And he has a couple logs, he favored a few I entinally gave him so I always kept those for him. I can upload pictures when I get home.