This Disappears When Logged In

Help with Snake Skin

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by Crocskinks51, May 10, 2013.

1. Crocskinks51

Crocskinks51 Member

Hey everyone,
    I have an adult male hog island boa, he's about two years, I have never had a health problem with him yet. He's handled a lot and is in a 3feet long by 18"w by 18"high. I'm in the process of building new tank. But I just noticed that by his jaw line right where he dislocates it to eat the scales are weird only on the left side. They look like they are all separated not overlapping. image.jpg . I tried to attach a image.jpg a few photos. I'm not sure if it worked. But if anyone knows what this is or an idea please help. Thank you image.jpg image.jpg

2. PeanutsMarmiteSydney

PeanutsMarmiteSydney Elite Member

The photos are not brilliant, but from what I can tell the area of scale you've pointed out appears discoloured. Is this correct? Also, is it rough/dry to the touch?

3. Crocskinks51

Crocskinks51 Member

Sorry the photos are horrible I tried to get a good one. It's pretty smooth you can just feel the separation of the scales. No discolouration in the scales.

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

It's really difficult to see anything from the photos. If you can come up with a better photo we may be able to give better advice... sorry

5. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

I see what you are talking about... it looks almost like the snake has eczema (not something I think snakes get) anyway maybe something is irritating the scales there. maybe mites? maybe he injured that area. do you feed him live food? I would see a vet, it might be some kind of skin infection or disease.

just so you know I am very new to snakes and I am just throwing ideas at you because I can see what you are talking about, good luck.

6. Crocskinks51

Crocskinks51 Member

7. Crocskinks51

Crocskinks51 Member

I think I'm gonna bring him to the vet this week. It scares me, just because i dont know what it is. I took a few better photos today and re-posted them for you guys

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I can`t see anything unusual, you say the scales where the lower jaw dislocates (so that means on the side of the jaw), can you crop the pics and zoom in?

9. Crocskinks51

Crocskinks51 Member

10. Crocskinks51

Crocskinks51 Member

Thats the best I can zoom in. Yeah its right on the side of the jaw close to the neck. Its only on one side though not both. It looks like he is missing scales. He doesn't act any different and is eating like a champ. I only noticed it last week, it was never like that before

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It looks like an injury, maybe he rubbed/caught the part on something, is there anything in the enclosure that could have caused that?

12. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

It does look like an injury. It also looks like his scales are stretched a bit though. I notice this on the bellys/mid section after mine eat a big meal. I have no idea what would have caused it only offering different options.

After looking at a few other pictures (the close ups) it looks like the scales are falling off. Like a type of scale rot or something. Post pics of the setup, temp and humidity, feed schedule and size of feed.

13. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Looks like the scales simply fell off or got rub off.... skin doesn't look bad, nor is there anything seemingly wrong with the sorounding area. When in doubt a Vet visit is not a bad idea and if it's fine it'll put your mind at ease

14. Crocskinks51

Crocskinks51 Member

Okay, thanks!! There is nothing in his tank that could have caused his injury. I really hope it's not scale rot!! Temp is 84 right now. And his body is 84 too. I feed him medium f/t once a week. I'm gonna be bringing him to the vet this week. Ill keep you guys posted.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I doubt very much it`s scale rot, but best to see the vet. You say the temp (basking or ambient?) is 84f and so is his body, but if you put the thermometer/Temp-gun on the snake`s surface (skin) that`s what it`s reading. To find out the core temp it would need to be taken from the cloaca (inserted), though in actual fact there may not be too much difference, that`s the only accurate method.

16. Crocskinks51

Crocskinks51 Member

Temp gun at him body

17. Crocskinks51

Crocskinks51 Member

I just got back from the vet. It is just an injury and in a few sheds it'll be gone. thanks for the help:)