This Disappears When Logged In

Help with Rescued Boa Please!

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by LovelyMomma, Dec 10, 2011.

1. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

I have another question though, do you guys think that is an appropriate sized feed?

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Basic size prey item is as wide as your snake or up to 1.5 the width of your snake.. With an animal super stressed they will sometimes only accept smaller prey items as they are less intimidating. Our ball python for instance STILL struggles with f/t rodents of the 'proper' size, though he will pound down f/t rodents that are too small for him.

3. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

That's what I was thinking.. I just don't want to go back and forth. I tried mice first, then the rat. I think I'll just try another rat Friday or Saturday.

4. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Hopefully by then she will feel a lot more secure and brave enough to tackle anything! :)

5. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Try a soft fur. Leave it at the opening of the hide your snake is in, turn off the lights, and leave the room. If she doesn't take it after an hour, brain case it, and try for another hour. Wait at least three to four days in between feeding attempts.

6. angelboa

angelboa Elite Member

I love the name!! My boyfriend jokingly called my new little guy Frodo and so far it has stuck (we don't know if the snake is a he or she).

I think the rat looked like a good size to me normally you want the rat to be as big around as the fattest part of the boa. Rats are better for them but a mouse will work if that's what it takes.

7. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

I read that somewhere, but as of yet haven't found any in my area :/ Great advice though, I'm going to do that even if I just have to get a regular feeder.

8. BarelyBreathing

Post an add on Craigslist. I'm sure somebody breeds them that can part with one for a reasonable price.

9. angelboa

angelboa Elite Member

If you are buying live a lot look in to making a co2 chamber it works great for me. Ive heard people say they don't like using them but it is another option. I cant get co2 as easy as I could when I had my old boys but it's still worth it for me with this new guy.

10. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

@barelybreathing; good idea, didn't think of that one.

@angelboa: I do buy live a lot, but that's because my BP's eat live anyway. I found a good article on cervical dislocation & my husband seems to not mind it too much so I think for now that's the route we're going to take.

11. BarelyBreathing

Or you can just do what I do and smack its head against the corner of a counter...

12. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

I actually tried that the other night... It actually made me cry lol. I hate rodents but hate hurting an animal even more. 'Tis why it is now up to the man of the house to take care of it for me lol

13. angelboa

angelboa Elite Member

I tried that once it didn't work out so well for me.... I have pet rats and have a hard time killing food rats because of it... I have convinced my self that co2 is the best way to do it, even if its not I think it is ;) lol

14. BarelyBreathing

I used to have pet rats and still have to work hard to keep myself from getting an attachment to feeders. That is why I do it quickly. They don't know what happened.

15. angelboa

angelboa Elite Member

If you do move her to a tub I suggest using paper towels in it for now. It makes it easy to clean the cage and they also hold water if you are worried about humidity.

16. angelboa

angelboa Elite Member

I don't know if this can help or if you have seen it but here you go....

Herp Vet Connection

17. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

I swear she sensed my worry last night. She was very active :) Kept me up until 330 just watching her. She'd have a nice long soak in her water dish, then climb out do a lap around her enclosure, then back to the water dish. Then she was stretched allll the way to the top this morning. Makes me feel quite a bit better.

Earlier in the post, someone mentioned that I should cover the mirrors because reptiles can be intimidated by them. She has definitely taken an interest to it, not intimidation though. She would sit around the top of her water bowl, and just check herself out in the mirror. Tongueflicking, periscoping galore. I got a kick out of it lol.

18. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

how are her head shakes doing? as previously mentioned they could possibly be caused by her lack of care previously...

19. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

She seems to be doing okay today, first time I've really seen her out during the day. She still has a hard time turning around but seems to be getting better. I haven't opened her enclosure though since we tried to feed her, and that seems to be when she has the most problems like she's trying to get somewhere in a hurry & just can't figure out how like in the video I posted. I saw her head shaking a little earlier, just barely noticeable.

From what I've seen the past few days, I would say that overall she's 60% percent better than she was a week ago. Much stronger, more curious, and very aware of her surroundings.

20. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

I give up.

SAM_0347.jpg
    SAM_0346.jpg

& she has started wheezing.

Attached Files: