This Disappears When Logged In

Help with Rescued Boa Please!

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by LovelyMomma, Dec 10, 2011.

1. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Okay, here's the video & I would like to apologize for my husband's idiocy at the end before you even watch it =/ & btw, she never did eat...

th_trying.jpg

Attached Files:

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Poor girl, she looked so awkward, its like she wanted it and was trying but her body wasn't working with her brain!

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Her movements do see to be off. Like she is not in control completely. The behavior looks more like a fear behavior like she is trying to get away from it.
    Next time instead of holding it in your hand, which is a bad idea anyway, use a long pair of tongs. This will "seperate" you from the feeder. If the animal is people shy this may help.
    Did you ever change out the hide? That tanks is quite bright lit and the snake will feel exposed. Having a hide where the snake can get away and feel secure may help.
    Another thing I would do is to reduce the lighting. They don't really care for bright lights.

4. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

I tried that to begin with and she tightened up, but just stared at it for the long time. My husband was worried that after she struck, we wouldn't be able to let go properly with the tongs so he thought it'd be better to just hold it.

As for the the hide I did add a bigger, more private one that she didn't come out of for 2 days. It's in a picture earlier in the thread.

The lighting isn't usually on, we actually just plugged it in yesterday for about an hour or so.

& I would like to say that she can flip herself back over after being placed on her back (tried to record it this morning but it was hard to do by myself). She also seemed to have better control lifting herself up when hanging. She just does that ^^ when trying to retreat. Also, when she tries to periscope without any support, she starts to wobble pretty bad.

5. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Huh... the pic got deleted. Here ya go, sorry it's sideways.

290yiv8.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Merlin

If she hits it, it will pretty much jerk the rodent right out of the tongs. And sometimes their aim isn't so great. You really don't want that snake mistakenly hitting a hand with a feeding strike.

But by turning the light on before you feed you are changing the environment. Everything needs to be on the low key side, low light, quiet, not much movement around the tank. Nothing that could spook or distract her. No other animals around immediately before the feed.

You are dealing with a snake that has had who knows what done to it even aside from being abandoned.

Once she starts to feed well it won't be such an issue but for now you really have to keep everything very low key.

7. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Yes, sir! Now, how long should we wait to try again?

8. Merlin

I'd give it at least 3-4 days. And in that time don't bother it at all. You might even consider covering the sides of the tank to give it some security.

9. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Okay, I will do that then & try again late Friday night. Thanks for all your guys' help, it is beyond appreciated.

10. Merlin

Its what we are here for!;)

11. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

From legit reptile rescue...

Arrowhead Reptile Rescue
    3:58 PM (1 hour ago)

to me
    If the snake is exhibiting neuro signs only when moving around it sounds like loss of balance... indicates things like inner ear infection, brain infection, septicemia, head trauma, poisoning or toxicity.

Ibd will manifest itself at random and you will notice things are really strange... like laying upside down in cage, laying in twisted positions with head cocked up and fixed, unable to coil, staring up for hours on end, and in later stages the vomiting and spewing, corkscrewing, and infections like mouth rot... or belly rot.

Arrowhead Reptile Rescue
    3:59 PM (1 hour ago)

to me
    If you seriously think this snake may have ibd euthanize ASAP.

12. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Euthanasia is something you should consider, only because your other animals are at risk. Its a noble thing your doing trying to save another animal, but if your whole collection dies as a result it really isnt worth it. Especially since IBD is 100% fatal. This isnt a descision that is made on a whim, obviously, so it would be a good idea to get an exotics vet opinion, wit a general work up.
    Ibd is pretty hard to definitively diagnose in a living animal. Most diagnoses are made postmortem. To even begin to figure out the animals problems, you would have to start with blood work/ possibly xrays, so on and so forth.

13. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Well the only reptile vet near me is out until the 20th. Initial checkup is $76 and bloodwork ranges between $50 & $150. I'm going to try and do what I can until then, and if I can scrape up enough money I plan on making an asap appointment.

14. angelboa

angelboa Elite Member

I hope you can get things figured out for her. She is a beautiful snake!! I like to use cat litter boxes as water dishes, and hides. You can cut a hole in the side and sand it to make it smooth then flip it upside down. I like doing this because they are easy to clean and they don't break if they get wet. Also when used as a hide you can put warm wet paper towels in it to help them shed if ever needed. I normally buy the ones at petsmart that are $5 - $10 depending on size.
    I wish I could give you more advice but I'm just not sure what to say :/

15. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Me either... I'm doing the best I can & still I sit on this computer all day & half the night trying to figure something out :( I feel so bad for her, and it makes me feel even worse that I'm so inexperienced. Then to top it off, I'm on an extremely tight budget. Bahhhh. This sucks.

16. angelboa

angelboa Elite Member

I understand the tight budget. The only thing I was thinking was putting her in a smaller more enclosed cage. I dont know if that will help or if that is best for her at this time but in my experience some times less space is better till they are healthy. I know a good amount about boas but I have never dealt with what you are right now. And I am not an expert in any way!

Think about things this way, what you are learning right now may be of a lot of help to other snakes later. What ever the outcome remember you did more for her than anyone else and for that you are AWESOME!! Just keep doing what you can I hope you find something asap so she can get better and you can relax! I will keep her and you in my thoughts and if I think of anything that may help I will let you know. Have you named her?

17. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

It's true, we learn more from hands on experience healing an injured or sick individual than we often do with years of researching known issues or even years of hands on problem free care! Actually having to nurse an animal back to health--and make the decision whether or not the animal's quality of life can improve.. Those are big grown up learning situations that will help you in the future... :) We always grow the most when times are toughest right? :D

18. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

@angelboa: I was thinking about getting her a tub tomorrow after reading your post earlier. She seems to like her hide though so I think I'll keep it and just add a cat litter pan for water so she can get into it easier. I just don't want to stress her out anymore than she already is. & as for a name, since I don't know if "she" is really a she, I've decided on a neutral name, Amali, which means Hope.

@purplemuffin: Yes, I agree with you. I'm new to herps all together though, I've only had my BP's for about 2 1/2 months so it's like everytime one of them does something new, I'm freaking out trying to figure out if it's "normal" or not. It's especially gotten worse since I have the fear of IBD in me. But, it's all a learning experience. It just kills me because I feel that in a way by not adequately being able to care for her as she needs, I'm just prolonging her suffering. But, it's still early. We haven't even had her a week yet so I must not freak out (much easier said than done).

19. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Wow, you really jumped in head first huh!

It is still early. I wouldn't say she's necessarily suffering just yet. Keep posting videos, keep being VERY serious about the quarantine... And we'll see. I wish you all the best luck! Amali, that is a perfect name!

20. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Yes, yes I did. It'll still take me a while to warm up to lizards though...Just something about those eyes lol

I am definitely serious. Enter her enclosure as little as possible, change clothes before I leave the room, then scrub up like a surgeon :)