This Disappears When Logged In

Help with Rescued Boa Please!

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by LovelyMomma, Dec 10, 2011.

1. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Yes, I've read that it's even faster in pythons so I guess we'll see. There's just so much controversy over IBD! One site tells you one thing, another the exact opposite. At any rate, I just moved the pythons out of the room, sanitized all of their tubs, waterbowls, and hides, and bathed them. Hopefully I get lucky because I definitely don't wanna see one of my babies suffer like that from my own stupidity.

2. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Do you have any ideas about the picture of her underbelly?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am not quite sure what you are asking about. I first thought it looked like some sort of fungus but on closer look I think what I was looking at was flash reflection from the area that the snake's body was going back into the water.
    If you are asking about what looks like may be a bit of a blistering effect, that could be the result of living in dirty conditions.

As for the mirror, don't worry about it. Snakes are not as put off by their own reflection as a territorial lizard would be.

4. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Yes, it sort of does look like blistering. The red spots all over her underbelly, they get worse towards her tail. But there's no raised bumps.

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Don't have any experience with IBD so all I can do is wish you luck. Hope your pythons are okay....

6. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Okay, just wanted to let you guys know that I finally found a rescue to take this poor sick guy/girl in. Buttt, I'm worried. I asked if he knew anything about IBD because I was afraid that it might have it, and his response was, "Yeah, irritable bowel syndrome." Wth? I don't want to give her to someone that has no idea what IBD is with such a high possibility that that's what she has...What to do? I really don't want to risk his whole collection getting sick, but at the same time she needs to go to someone that can properly take care of her as I have realized that I'm in way over my head :( What do you guys think??

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

That is scary! If they don't understand what it is, I wouldn't give her to that rescue. Hope you find someone who know how to deal with this and has had experience with it and know that there is no cure and is very contagious.

8. Merlin

To be honest anyone who keeps boas and pythons and doesn't know what IBD is is highly suspect.
    And since IBD is highly contagious and there is no cure, most people who have a collection would probably not take the snake.

9. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

See, that's what I was thinking too. I'm at a loss here. The only only rescue I've been able to find is in Cincinnati & that's 4 hours away. I guess I'm going to have to dig some more.

10. cgenebrewer

cgenebrewer Member

I am curious about this "rescue." Are they a reptile rescue or just a regular animal rescue? have you seen the establishment? Where is it located? It sounds like it may just be a front for reselling animals on craigslist.

11. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

That's what I'm thinking now too. He says it's just a reptile rescue, but this is what he said this morning when I initially agreed to give her to him,
    "Are you willing to drop her/him off? If so Do you know that pet shop on east 71st by Harvard? Can you go up there and take the snake and ask for Paul? Or it could wait till I get off at 7? I have go leave to go to work now so I can't reply back. I will be alert if you stop by."
    Why would you want a sick boa at a pet shop?

12. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

She finally ventured out of her hide today, 2 days after we put it in there. Question though... Is this considered "stargazing"?

11w4njo.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Merlin

Nope that's just exploring.
    71st and Harvard? Are you in Tulsa?

14. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

No, that isn't star gazing.

15. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Looking into the air and exploring isn't stargazing. There is a video on youtube called "Stargazing and head trumors boa", and if you just search boa IBD or boa stargazing you'll see examples of how weak they are. Looks like they have trouble keeping their head up, but keep trying anyway.

16. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

No, I'm in Cleveland Ohio. & Okay, I didn't think so, but she was doing that the first night we got her set up too. I think we might try to feed her a medium fresh kill rat tonight. Fingers crossed.

17. purplemuffin

Snakes will explore, and will do something we call "Periscoping" where they just sit their head up and look around! Looks like this boa was searching around, maybe even for food, so hopefully she'll take the meal!

18. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

I think we're going to take a video tonight after hubby gets home, because I'm wondering if she might just be really weak. Wanna see what you guys think because she also looks like the snake in the video, only no so bad. Her problem is correcting herself like after we sat her down in a way she didn't wanna be... Jeez it's hard to explain. Video it is lol.

19. purplemuffin

Video would help!

Another confusing bit of information. There are diseases/problems that cause the same symptoms of IBD(stargazing, etc.) while not being true IBD. These can be neurological defects from being overheated(aka brain damage), some snakes develop stargazing after inhaling certain chemical sprays around the house, and then, chronically sick and weak boas can start to develop issues just from being sick and weak! Sometimes these issues become permanent, sometimes they go away as the snake gets healthier.

I truly hope she is only weak!

20. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Me too! I'm feeling hopeful though, she seems to be a LOT more aware today than she has been since we brought her in. And before, we she would go through the substrate you could see where it looked like she just drug herself through it, now I can see that she just glided on top. Also a lot more tongue flicking.