This Disappears When Logged In

Help with New Gecko

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by roberto57, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roberto57

roberto57 Member

Hello,

I am new to the Gecko world and have an aft.

It is cool in our house now and the temp is around 69-70's at night. I have a under tank heater pad on the warm side but I am getting a reading that shows around 69 on the thermometer it is one of those sticky tape types that stick to the glass on the tank, (15 Gallon).

What can I do to get the temp up overall? The Gecko is hanging out in the heated hide most of the time so I want to make it better it. I am using coconut fiber as a substrate.

There are two hides, one on each end 1 heated, and 1 for moisture.

Any advice is appreciated.

Robert

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

The first thing you need to do is get a good temp gauge. Those stick on thermometers only take the temp of the glass and they can be up to 10 degrees off! :eek:

Go to the hardware store and pick up a combination digital probe thermometer/hygrometer. It'll probably run you about $10-15 and it will be one of the best investments you make. A temperature fluctuation of even a few degrees can upset some animals.

3. roberto57

roberto57 Member

Thanks much! It did not seem like it was the best choice right off the bat. I will pick one up today.

I now need to get the Ghecko to eat. It has only been one week since I brought it home.

It does not seem ready to eat much at all. From what I hear they do not care to eat much during the winter months due to the fact that they are in a brumation state for the most part.

Regards,
    Robert

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If the temps are off the gecko will be reluctant to feed. Under temps that are too cool they are unable to digest the food which will basiclly lay in their stomach and rot.

5. roberto57

roberto57 Member

Okay,

I now have a light for basking in the day and picked up some plants to make it more comfortable. I also picked up some wax worms to see if he will go for it. So far no interest. Misting the enclosure several times seems to be good for him.

I am not sure if has has eaten much at all but he has pooped twice this week. White in color with some black.

Any ideas of how to get him to eat more would be appreciated.

Robert:(

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Only having the lizard a week means it is still settling in.
    And the white is urates, the reptile equivalent of urine.

7. roberto57

roberto57 Member

Thanks again,

This Sunday will be two weeks and he seems to be happy basking. When should I see an improvement in his appetite?

How long can he go realistically without eating.

When should I be worries if he does not eat?

His tail looks like it is getting skinny. I have been told that it should be fat hence the name fat tail.

Just want to make sure this guy is not starving or dying slowy.

Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.