This Disappears When Logged In

Help with Dumeril's Boa

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by RavenLette, Dec 6, 2012.

  1. RavenLette

    RavenLette New Member

    Ok so I'm pretty new to the herp scene. I have helped take care of friends snakes before but just recently got a couple of my own. One is a ball python and one is a dumeril's boa. The python I havent had any concerns or problems with at all. The boa, I think it might've been abused by the previous owner (most likely accidentally) because there is one vertebrae (about 17th or 18th down) that clicks sometimes when the snake moves and it doesnt like that area touched very much. I am very careful anytime I handle him/her because of this, but I'm just wondering if it could be a fracture, broken cartilage, broken rib, etc and if so, will it ever heal, and how well? Also, this boa is unsexed and I would like to be able to find out its gender without having to spend an arm, leg, and firstborn at the vet just for them to probe it. If anyone could tell me how to do that or suggest an article, that would be great :) Also, the conditions the snakes were kept in by their previous owner were not the best. When I got them, they hadnt eaten or had their cages cleaned in about 2 weeks or so, the skin was still in there from where they shed, and the owner's definition of a 'full setup' consisted of a tank with a water bowl, reptibark, and a hiding/basking rock. No lights, no hygrometer, no thermometers or heating pads or anything else. The boa was slightly agressive until it realized I wasnt just going to reach in there and snatch it out like the kid who owned it did. They were also feeding the snakes in their tanks -.-. Any advice would help at this point. Other than the vertebrae clicking and the sexing, I havent really had any problems though. 1.0.1.
  2. justor

    justor Elite Member

    I can't really help with the vertibrae issue, but I will say probing a snake is not something you should do if you have no experience. It's very easy to injure the snake if you don't know what you're doing. If there is a reputable reptile shop in your area you can see if they would be willing to probe it for you, but make sure they know what they're doing. I would just take it to the vet, they can answer your vertibrae question and sex the snake all in one place, and it shouldn't be too hard on your wallet.

    For the record there is nothing wrong with feeding snakes in their enclosures. In my humble opinion of course.
  3. JoeyG

    JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

    Couldn't have said it better myself Austin :) the Vet will be a much better person to answer the vertabrae question and though i think it will heal on it's own having them check it is a much better solution. Also they'll happily sex it for you. I also feed in mine in their tanks, it's really just a preference IMO. I've not had any issue with doing this..... ever
  4. Merlin

    Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

    None of us are going to be able to answer your question about the vertebrae. That is going to require an x-ray to determine just what the issue is.
  5. Katsura

    Katsura Elite Member

    If I were you I would take it to a vet. They can determine what's wrong with the vertebrae and give you ways to help it get a speedy recovery or lessen it's pain (IF it's broken or etc, or IF it's in pain). While you are there you can ask them to sex it for you. The vet that I go to has done it free of charge when we go in there for whatever reason.

Share This Page