This Disappears When Logged In

Help With Desert Iguanas

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by Senamian, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senamian

Senamian Member

I actually have a slate rock slab I could use! :) My beardie uses one for his basking spot lol. They work amazingly well to retain heat without burning their tummies.

2wbysuu.jpg

He took 6 big mouthfuls of food before I placed him back into his enclosure. He was offered a mix of yellow bell pepper, prickly pear fruit, cilantro, parsley and sweet potato.

He's very curious of everything outside the enclosure, and enjoys investigating! He has become a lot more active being on his own, without another male dominating him.

On a side note their clockwork is all messed up... Now being supplied with real temperatures, they believe it is breeding season!!

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

well it turns into breeding season when the cold winter warms up so its just the seasons that are messed up for them...ah well though. Try to offer more staple foods and less treat veggies. Staples would include collards, kale, escarole, cactus pads, etc.

3. Senamian

Senamian Member

He does get staple foods......

The issue with offering a wide variety of "staple foods" is that Canada sucks... Or at least Alberta does. We don't have escarole, endive, cactus pad, alfalfa (plant), mustard greens, and I have no longer been able to find dandelion greens! I would have to travel 4 hours just to pick up the prickly pear, and in this weather that would be a very VERY dangerous idea.

Until spring time comes around and I can plant seeds I bought specifically for staple greens (beardie's staple greens are similar), all we have are collards and of course squash. Today he got the mixed occasional foods because I would like to see what I can give him as additives (what he likes or is drawn to).

They were both fed kale for 2 years... Which from what I have read it binds calcium, and is not an ideal food.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

maybe a small indoor garden? I have a spare 20 gal that I am using to grow extra greens- mainly dandelions.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Another suggestion. Instead of feeding hard veggies such as carrots in chunks, use a cheese grater or food processer to cut them up finer. The finer food will serve two purposes. One it will allow the animal to get more food in its stomach and 2 it will make the food easier to digest. Herbivorous animals need to eat a lot to get the nutrition they need.

6. Senamian

Senamian Member

I always finely slice his food, or make it into tiny bites (bigger plate was for my beardie) :) Hard to tell how thin it was in the picture... I do notice how it looks like larger chunks lol. I was pretty impressed with his 6 mouthfuls that he took! He usually does maybe 2 or 3 then he is done...

Thala... That's not a bad idea... The tank they came in is empty and I cannot use it for an aquarium... I could use it for a garden. Only issue is, is that I never seem to be able to keep plants alive indoors :( I could still try though, especially since dandelions are extremely hardy. I'll just need to find a spot where the kitty cannot get to it ;)

I put the slate rock slab into the enclosure, and he seems very pleased with it. I cannot wait to get/make a larger enclosure though! It'll give him a lot more room.

9atwl5.jpg

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

1-2 inches of rock or gravel at the bottom of the tank, then a mesh screen, then some dirt. Plant the seeds and then make sure to have a plant bulb over it and it should start taking off.

Logo likes this.
  8. Senamian

Senamian Member

Awesome thanks! :)

So today I took him out to weigh him...He was 59 grams when I got him, now he is 63 grams! And boy oh boy is he ever active... "Never Catchem" is pretty dang close to what he is like! I had to put him back into his enclosure to avoid him from sky diving off my lap... Which was not easy! lol. I'm glad though, because that is a great improvement from the lazy-barely-moves-or-lifts-his-head iguana I brought home...
    [video=youtube;YaUcOHqeoC4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaUcOHqeoC4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

And yes he sneezes, since he got water up his nose lol :p

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That is remarkable improvement! Good job!!

10. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Glad to see him wake up. :)

11. Senamian

Senamian Member

Thanks!! :) I'm so glad to see this improvement.. I was a little worried he had already given up... But he sure hasn't!! What tough little guys desert iguanas are!

As for the smaller one, he is also doing great. Very territorial on his own now LOL. My friend absolutely adores him!

12. Senamian

Senamian Member

An update!

He has been doing amazingly well. I can no longer handle him outside the enclosure for fear of an escape! I did a picture comparison (shared below) of when I got him and what he looks like now. I never noticed it until comparing... But before he had prominent hips :( Now he is weighing in at 64 grams (last week's weight), compared to the 59 grams when I first got him!

I am currently on the lookout for a large enclosure for him. I did find a couple but they were already taken by the time I saw the ads! (one was 230 gallon, another 74 gallon!)

2aj29o2.jpg

Logo likes this.
  13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Very nice keep up the good work.

14. Senamian

Senamian Member

Thanks!

Did weighing today... 68 grams!

15. Logo

Logo Member

Love the thread and thanks for all the information.

I do have a question, how do you know they are males?

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This thread is from 2 years ago and the OP is no longer on site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.