This Disappears When Logged In

Help With Crickets

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Karmataurus, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Karmataurus

Karmataurus Member

Not sure this is the right place for this, but I need help urgently.

I have a lizard who has stopped eating crickets recently. He is eating fine, but there are crickets in his setup that are breeding. The noise they make is constant and inseesent, and I have been unable to remove them successfully. The tank is too large to move feasibly at the current time, what should I do to get rid of them?

2. billrogers

billrogers Established Member

How big is your tank?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And what type of lizard? For a knockdown you can put a dish of water in the enclosure. The stupid crickets will jump in and drown.

4. Karmataurus

Karmataurus Member

40 gallon, Yellow Lined Plated Lizard. There is already a water dish, they just swim out of it.

5. Kolby Tannehill

Kolby Tannehill Well-Known Member

I have had this happen once. I only thing I can suggest is to fully break down the enclosure and clean it out.

6. Ian-V

Ian-V Well-Known Member

This may sound crazy but get an electric bass and amplifier. Turn up the amp all the way (remove your lizard first), then play the lowest note. Should work. I learned this from a guy in Dallas btw.

7. billrogers

billrogers Established Member

Haha! Never heard of that before! I have heard though that you can put dry ice in a couple containers in your cage and pour warm water on the dry ice. It will release a lot of C02 into the enclosure which should basically gas the crickets. (Obviously, you need to take your lizard out first :D) After letting the cage air out for a day or two the lizard can be returned to a now cricket-free home.

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

If you use a smooth sided water bowl the crickets won't be able to get out once they get in. And for the Co2 to work the cage will have to be very well sealed. So make sure to put plastic sheet or something over any ventilation if you try that.

9. Ian-V

Ian-V Well-Known Member

I've never heard that either. Sounds a bit more logical than the bass idea though.