This Disappears When Logged In

Help With Bigger Vivarium?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Leanne130, May 30, 2018.

1. Leanne130

Leanne130 Established Member

could anyone help with making a vivarium with a heat Matt a home for my corn? how to install the heat mat etc.. I've only ever set up a terrarium it was easy, I need a little bit of help with setting this one up. what can I use to install the heat mat so as not to burn the vivarium or scald the snake? best decorations to use etc.. can someone help?

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

What size is the enclosure and why do you want to use a heat mat instead of overhead heating (not that you need special permission)? You would need to use a thermostat with the heat mat and set it at the desired temp.

3. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I use Ultratherm heat mats from reptilebasics.com. Even w/out a thermostat they won't get hot enough to do any damage to your critter or the enclosure. The 11"x 11" mat is 15 watts, and I use that size taped to the glass under glass tanks for my Okeetee corn and bull snakes. Aluminum foil tape is the best type to use for any heat mat, duct tape won't hold up over time.
    They also sell pvc hides in various sizes that are easy to clean. Aspen bedding and a water bowl large enough for the snake to soak in if it wants to, though my corn never soaks that I've seen. At least two hides, one on the warm side and another on the cool side so the snake can maintain a comfortable body temp. I placed a piece of pegboard for a bridge with a plastic vine attached across a couple decorations in my corn's tank. She hangs out on that quite often.