This Disappears When Logged In

Help with Abandoned Alligator Lizards

Discussion in 'Alligator Lizards' started by Suvanna, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Suvanna

Suvanna New Member

Hello. I have a problem that I would like your help with! Any ideas appreciated, especially educated ones.
    A small nonprofit (that I am on the Board of) bought property in Lake County (near Clear Lake, California) yesterday. The house on the property is totally trashed (in just the living room I filled up 3 enormous bags of trash.) We started cleaning it up and after about an hour noticed that the terrarium in the corner had...something in it. Long story short, there are two what I think are alligator lizards in there, though they had more subtle markings than alligator lizards in the wild that i've seen so maybe they were something else. 6 or 7 inches long...just brown with subtle markings, I'm sorry I didn't think to take a photo!
    The cage had crickets hopping around and the lizards didn't look really skinny or anything, but it was very cool in the house. Looked like they used to have a heat lamp, but not lately. No one has lived in the house for some time, maybe a month, not sure, so their water was super manky. When I went to change it, one of them sort of hissed at me with his mouth open.
    I was thinking of giving them to a petstore. I know that it used to be that pet stores can't sell California reptiles. Is that still true? Another idea that was floated was to let them go. But it's November at 4,000 elevation...will they survive? Do lizards in captivity forget how to find food? What happens to lizards in winter? I have no idea!
    Anyway they're going to be there for another week until someone goes up next weekend. I said I'd make a recommendation for what we should do with them. Please help! I don't want to let them go if they'd just die...thanks. Suvanna

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Letting them go in cool temps is almost certainly a death sentence.

Unless you know what species they are, introducing them to the wild is not a wise idea, because they could be non-native, and cause problems with the local ecosystems.

Are you able, or do you know anyone able to take them on, even temporarily until better arrangements can be made?

3. Boa

Boa Elite Member

If you let them go outside in a cool or cold temperature it will lead to there death.

4. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

check around for a local reptile rescue:
    Here's a list from Melissa Kaplan's site, not sure whats closest to the area, but there is one in clearlake. Giving them to a pet store could do more harm than good. They sound like they have been without anything for quite some time and may need specialized care.Without heat they could have respiratory infections etc.Good Luck!!

Greg Frost / Cyndi Diekmann
    Colusa, Glenn, Humbolt, Lake, Mendocino, Napa, & Sonoma Counties
    Call to check for other northern counties
    Clearlake
    707-994-4457

http://www.anapsid.org/societies/calif.html