This Disappears When Logged In

Help! What Am I Doing Wrong?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Jaymin Sabean, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Jaymin Sabean

Jaymin Sabean Active Member

I'm having trouble finding an appropriate household fluorescent tube with the hood as well. I live in Canada and I'm not very good at finding things like this. I am 12 years old and my parents don't know anything about reptiles, could you please help me find the right stuff? A 26 inch terrarium. Thank you.

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

If it's difficult to find, maybe go with something like this...
    Amazon.com : Reptile T5HO 22" Standard Fixture & Reflector : Pet Supplies
    This fits the 5.0 fluorescent tube you mentioned earlier.

Jaymin Sabean likes this.
  3. Jaymin Sabean

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can get regular flourescent fixtures at any hardware store.

6. Jaymin Sabean

How do I know it has the right % of UVB bring emitted? Are all of the normal hardware store fluorescent tubes the same? And I don't think it's wise to spend $168 right now.

7. Jaymin Sabean

And is it alright if I use my reptisun 5.0 just for like a month or two and then switch to tube UVB lighting?

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The fixture is the housing that holds the UVB tube, and in that case a normal household housing will work if it`s the right length and tube width (T8 or T5).
    Here`s a thread from a few years ago that might help you understand what required for these lizards, Aja Michelle is an experienced Anole keeper...

New 45g Anole Terrarium-lighting Question | Reptile Forums - Information

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It`s the fluorescent tube HOUSING (batten) fixture that you need to find, the 5-0 UVB tube you linked to would be fine, as would the 10-0. Neither of those things will cost anything like $168 (or both together)!?
    It might be that the only place you can order an 18inch batten is from a reptile specific retailer, here`s an example of the fitting (although the wrong length)...
    LED T8 2ft 4ft 5ft Single Batten Fitting Fixture - with or without LED tube | eBay

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  10. Jaymin Sabean

Alright. Sorry for all the hassle, guys. I have upgraded my terrarium to keep the humidity up, and bought a long vine that covers the whole terrarium for them... I think I can figure it out from here. Thank you so much for all the help. Now, time to explain it all to my parents .