This Disappears When Logged In

Help! What Am I Doing Wrong?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Jaymin Sabean, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Jaymin Sabean

Jaymin Sabean Active Member

I got two new anoles, one male one female. I have a reptisun 10.0 set up and a Zoo med Repti basking Spot Lamp, 75W. The basking spot is around 5 inches away from the bulb. My humidity levels are 55+. My anoles are brown. When first got the female and the male, the female ran out, turned green and basked, the male hasn't turned green yet. The female has bden green for a few minutes, then Brown, etc. Only the male has eaten (two crickets). The female hasn't. What am I doing wrong? Here are some pics. 15144669673831038809672.jpg 1514467021747354338018.jpg

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Have you actually measured the basking site temps with a temp gun, and what are the basking and ambient temps? Also, is that a screen top? And how long have you actually had the lizards? A couple things I see that could be adjusted, the basking site would be better at one end of the cage of the other so that there is a better temperature gradient. And if that is a screen top as I suspect it is, I can pretty much promise you you don't have 55% humidity in that cage, unless your house is kept unusually humid for some reason. You'll need to cover all the screen you can except where the lights go through with something like sheet plastic or even just saran wrap or tinfoil. This will help stabilize temps and humidity, and yes they will still jave plenty of air. And one last thing, if you've only had them for a few days it wouldn't be unusual for them to not eat right away. Just give them more time to acclimate.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I agree and I would aim for more like 65%.

4. Jaymin Sabean

Thank you for the ideas. I moved the lights to one side. We do not have a temp gun. We will cover the screen. I have no arboreal lizard experience, but I have had a leopard gecko for almost a year. I got my anoles yesterday. My hydrometer said it was 55% for humidity. They've been staying at the basking spot all day, on top of each other. Is that because it's too cold elsewhere? It is 75 watts, 3 inches away from the bulb. Ty

5. Kevin_Babbs

Kevin_Babbs New Member

For whats it worth I added my first reptiles to the family this year. I have 1 BT skink and 1 rainbow boa. I spent years reading and researching ( and convincing my girlfriend now wife). Anyway I am still tuning and tweaking to get the enclosures 100%. One thing I found is that HVAC tape, the aluminum kind, works great for covering up the screen tops on cages. You can cover as much or little as you want and its easy to work with and replace.

6. Jaymin Sabean

I researched a lot as well about my leopard gecko, and my family loves her. However, I'm only twelve, so it's kind of hard to buy all the supplies needed, etc.

7. Jaymin Sabean

Basking Temps are 92.8 and cold side is 71.1. I covered the screen, will mist twice more today Ambient temps are between basking and cold side.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, what are you using to measure the ambient (air) temps, I can see what looks like an analogue gauge, those can be very inaccurate (as much as 15% +).
    Without an IR Temp-gun you cannot accurately measure the basking surface temps.
    I understand you are only 12 years old (I used to be that age myself) but for the animals to thrive you absolutely must have the equipment needed to offer suitable conditions, otherwise they are likely to fail (die).
    I will say I like the way the enclosure is set up inside re the "furniture" although I would tamp the substrate down more firmly and add more branches, there`s a lot of empty space ( I`m on your side)!! ;)

9. Jaymin Sabean

I have changed a couple things in my terrarium, because I found that thermometer to be very innacurate as well. Here are some pics:
    Switched the Side the lights are on, the light seemed to dry out the droplets on the leaves quicker on that side: 15145726505421661219674.jpg
    15145726768012107229577.jpg
    Here is my thermometer. 81.9 degrees, probe is on the cold side. Hydrometer says 45%, but I haven't misted yet, so I will mist soon and it will be at 60+%. 1514572694810343530793.jpg sorry photo quality is bad, used my tablet. Also, how long can an Anole live if I'm on vacation? Thanks.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos and more details. The compact UVB bulbs are not very effective because they only emitt a very small amount and over a very small area (sorry) much better are the flouorescent UVB tubes. I think if the conditions are good they will survive a week or so but it would be better if someone could check on them now and again, how long are you away?
    Can you take a photo of the whole top from above?
    Edit: I noticed you mention the basking bulb is a 75w and they can get to within 3 inches of it`s surface, I would think that that could cause a serious burn, again, you need to check the surface temp with a Temp-gun. (they are very cheap to buy over here, I expect the same in America)?

Digital Infrared Handheld Temperature Gun Thermometer Non-Contact IR Laser Point | eBay

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  11. Jaymin Sabean

Thank you. I'm not on a vacation, just wondering. The light isn't 3 inches away anymore, more like 6 inches now. They seem to like it and they have space to thermoregulate, and it says 92 degrees Fahrenheit at the basking spot.
    A pic of the top: 15145768528981897447800.jpg 15145769336131702821284.jpg I will probably buy a temp gun then. Will they still thrive with the compact UVB bulb? I am unsure about the tube, or whether it will work out for me. I like the dome I have because has a mount, so I can mount it higher if the temps are too high. I live in Canada by the way xD. And the temp gun in Canada at home hardware costs $47 and with tax that's almost $55

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

O.k, you need to cover the whole top as completely as possible, at the moment you`re losing a significant amount of heat and humidity through the screen, kitchen foil works well temporarily.
    No, the amount of UVB the compact bulb is emitting will probably not be sufficient. I have no idea if they make a UVB tube to fit that size, but it`s extremely important to find out. The equipment can be quite expensive even though the animals are cheap! I think a larger (and taller) enclosure would be more suitable then you`d have room to fit a solid lid and put the heat/lighting inside which is normally much more effective because it creates a "self contained" environment.
    You cannot read the surface temp at the basking site accurately even with the digital hygrometer probe (hence the Temp-gun).

Jaymin Sabean likes this.
  13. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

14. Jaymin Sabean

I'll do my best to figure out the tube thing. What do you recommend I use instead of kitchen foil? Is this an okay temp gun:HDE Non-Contact Infrared IR Temperature Gun Digital Thermometer: Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement ?
    I find my enclosure quite large right now, and why is it that all of this stuff you're telling me, about the tube, the compact UVB light not working, etc. All new to me? I've read at least 10 care sheets from reliable sources and never have I heard this. And if I kept my Reptisun 10.0, how bad would it be? Would they die in a couple months? Or would they live their whole lives? I have $600 right now, and I have no job to earn money quick, only an allowance. I have to pay for all this other equipment with my money, because my parents can't pay for all of this, so I was thinking that the only way to maintain this lifestyle is by breeding reptiles and selling them. Is it possible that ANY other bulbs would work for UVB, instead of a tube?
    Thanks.

15. Jaymin Sabean

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Are you saying kitchen foil is not available to you?
    There are a hundred caresheets "out there", mostly they repeat each other and anyone can "write" one (mostly copy). I can only offer advise on what I know works for many people.
    The compact UVB bulb will not provide sufficient UVB exposure as far as I`m aware, therefore the animals will suffer to some degree (perhaps significantly?) over time.
    A UVB emitting tube should only be approx 2/3rds the enclosure length, so although the tube you link to is o.k re the UVB output, the length is too much, try and find a 45cm (18inch) tube (or a longer tank).
    Edit: Covering the top will cost pennies, a new UVB tube and housing might be $60 or so (guessing) the Temp-gun, $3o or less? If you intend to get them to thrive those things are what you must have.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I doubt VERY much you will create any sort of business from breeding these lizards...

18. Jaymin Sabean

I have kitchen foil, but you said it was a temporary solution, so I thought you meant it won't work. I wasnt going to breed green Anoles, since they sell for so cheap and not that many people will want them that bad, unless used for food for bigger reptiles, or fennec foxes, etc. I didn't quite want a "business", rather some economic help for maintaining the reptiles, and I thought the best way to do that is by selling the babies. So, all I now need for them to thrive is good temps and better UVB?

19. Jaymin Sabean

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member