This Disappears When Logged In

Help Water Dragon Lost 3 Inches Of Tail!

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Ultima78, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

My water dragon's tail got stuck on a door and took of the bottom 3 inches. What do I do? And will it grow back at least a little?

2. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Water dragons won't regrow their tail when lost. It should heal without issue however. Keep in clean and monitor for infection.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

No it probably wont grow back at all and you don't need to treat him any different because he lost his tail (well besides keeping it clean). They generally don't notice losing their tails. Tai lost a good 5-6inches and the day after it happened I was poking and prodding the tail end and he didn't care. The tip will round out and skin will cover the end but that's about it.

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

My water dragon grew back 4 inches of her tail when she managed to get 1/2 of it ripped off in a "y" branch in her tank. The new growth is brown, patternless and it does shed like the rest of her.

Right now keep it clean, you can put on some polysporin(no pain relife thats toxic to herps) and hope for the best!
    Here is what it looked like when it started to grow back:
    032-4.jpg
    Today almost a year after she lost 1/2 of it, you can tell where the new growth is:
    004-61.jpg

Attached Files:

5. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Poop. I can't see the pictures. I've read conflicting info on tail regeneration in this species. In my experience, Reggie did not regenerate the four or so inches he lost as a juvinile. He is now around five years old.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It goes back and forth. Some will regrow but most do not. Tai's tail grew back about 1/2 an inch and then abruptly ended and I have yet to see any new growth. I say it probably wont regrow as most cwds dont so its best not to raise hopes but either way they will live a long and happy life with our without a full tail.

7. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

I can see the pics now on my android app. Its interesting now that I see it. When Reggie lost his, it was due to a kink in his tail that accumulated old shed. I wonder if it has to do with the nature of the tail loss, quick break vs constriction from old shed. Or maybe it was the fact that the kink was there. Idk. Just a thought.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I dont think so...Tai lost his in a quick break and it didnt grow back.

9. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Oh well, never mind then. :)

10. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Do you think age has it's role in there? Zap lost her tail when she was 3-4 inches snout to Vent, so she was in her growing stage. I remeber a story of a human baby who lost part of his thumb and a part of it regrew. The story was on Weird or What, one Doctor had mentioned something about the amount of growth hormones and the brain working together to regenerate it.

I wonder what factors play a role when it does grow back vs not coming back.
    Location of the break (I'm sure we had 6-8inches off)
    How it broke off

I looked through some old posts of mine.
    Zap lost her tail March 27 2012.
    The tip rounded out April 19 2012
    I noticed an inch of new growth May 6 2012
    3 inches of growth at June 23 2012
    4 inches August 9 2012
    So in 5 months her tail healed over and regrew 4 inches.

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Hmm it could be age... Tai was 20 in ToL when he snapped his tail off.

12. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

Zeus had a clean break, 4 inches snout to vent. And he is REALLY healthy. Took of clean 3 inches from tank door.

13. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Not sure how big exactly Reggie was, tho it was within the first year that I had him, so he was definitely was in his rapid growth stage. He was only a few months old when I rescued him.

14. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

UPDATE: Well now its healing and the tip rounded over starting to look like his normal tail and it is still growing. I keep getting mad at myself for closing the door on Zeus's tail because otherwise this never would have happened.

15. Zappa230

Zappa230 Elite Member

Just keep it clean, and keep it from infection. That should be all.

16. OEW

OEW Elite Member

That's good that it's healing. Don't be mad at yourself, stuff happens! It's healing and he'll be fine :) Willy's missing a good few inches of his tail and it never seemed to bother him.

17. justor

justor Elite Member

It may actually have more to do with wether or not it was a decision on the lizards part to drop the tail versus the tail 'breaking' off or falling off due to stuck shed or whatever else. When they drop it on purpose it separates in the perfect place, and would make sense that it would be able to grow back from there.

When they drop it themselves it's going to be a quick separation, but so would getting the tail slammed in a door. The difference is when they drop it themselves it separates right where it is meant to separate which is not the case when getting the tail stuck in the door (unless it gets stuck, but not severed, and the lizard has to actually drop the tail in order to free itself). That's what would make sense to me anyways.

18. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

Exactly what happened he got his tail stuck and dropped the last inches to be free before I opened the door.

19. ImagineDragons

ImagineDragons Well-Known Member

Sol's tail had to be snipped at the vet due to a break. It rounded off. Since then, he's learned to carry it up, kind of like a cat, and he can twitch the tip of it. I think the cat he tortures (yes, he teases the cat from his tank, it's hilarious!) has taught him a few tail tricks. :)

20. tymacreo

tymacreo New Member

My, water dragon Axl lost his tail due to a fight with the other water dragon Bolt, he had to have surgery as bone was visible. Days before the stitches were removed he had a growth that looked like it was filled with fluid but after the stitches was removed this growth began to grow out. Now four months later is replacing his tail, he is less than a year old now and both dragons have their own enclosures. The break happened a month before this thread and all searches online provided only discouragement to his tail regenerating, it is comforting to know that it is possible and that my baby is a special lucky dragon who is now growing bigger and better in his own tank due to not having the bigger bolt competing for food anymore with him. image.jpg the photo is his tail about a month ago it has since straightened and is getting longer and almost looks like his original tail just black.