This Disappears When Logged In

Help!! Water Dragon Impacted

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by DragonSlayer, Jan 10, 2015.

1. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

I think my Chinese water dragon is impacted, he got into a plant that had those stupid little foam balls and he eat a few.
    What do I do, I have been giving him belly rubs and warm water baths.
    HELP please!!

He did crunch them up, I heard them crunching, but it took me a minute to figure out what he was doing.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, when did the dragon eat the plants?

3. DragonSlayer

Didn't eat a plant, ate little foam balls that are in planting mix. He was in the living room while I was cleaning his enclosure.

And ate them a few days ago.

Wondering if I should just take him to the vet Monday.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I take it then you have no idea how many of them the lizard swallowed, but has he/she defaecated since the incident?

5. DragonSlayer

Not sure how many and he has only been been putting out little white things in he escarpment.

6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

So the balls you are describing are most likely perilite, which causes impaction. I would go ahead and call your vet, if he ate enough it can become a problem.

7. DragonSlayer

Ok, will call/go first thing Monday morning, gone through to much to loose him now.

mshrmheadcharge likes this.
  8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Keep up the warm baths, make sure his temperatures are correct as well as humidity. Maybe raise the basking site temps by a couple of degrees.

9. DragonSlayer

Will do. As far as temps, he has multiple basking areas and humidity is 65 days 50 to 55 at night. He is in a 12x12 room I have set up with heater and hug humidifier for room size. He just finished a shed yesterday.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you explain the words "putting out little white things in the escarpment"? If you mean in the faeces then he/she cannot be impacted (but I too think if you`re worried see a vet).

11. DragonSlayer

guess I should not have said excrement. Use that for lack of better word. The little white thing that comes out after they poop or before they poop :) that's all that's coming out.

he is so active it's hard for me to believe there's something wrong, and he is still eating a little bit. But the lack of eating maybe he's going through puberty, just turning 2 years old.
    first reptile so I don't have a clue what I am doing except for what I read. So I'm all ears,. Think we are going to take a vet visit tomorrow, he's due for his checkup anyway.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Are you saying that the white urates is all that is coming out with no feces?

13. DragonSlayer

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You mean the hemipenes show but no faeces? (O.k, I see you answered Merlin`s question)..
    Do you have the snout to vent length (or total length if the tail is complete)?
    Can you show a couple of photos of the whole room you keep the animal in?

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If the dragon is feeding normally and only urates are repeatedly produced with no brown material, I would suspect either constipation or impaction.

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Merlin, apparently the animal is not eating normally (just a bit) which may also explain only passing urates at this time.

17. DragonSlayer

12 inches total.
    5 inches snoat to vent.

18. DragonSlayer

his stomach does not feel bloated, but I have no idea if that means anything.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

He/she seems quite small if aged 2 years, did someone else own the lizard previously?
    There is no reason for them to just stop eating because they are becoming mature (adults). Do you have a few photos you can put up of the room?

20. DragonSlayer

he had metabolic bone disease when he was young, he was turned in to the animal shelter, fostered for 3 months, then I adopted him. I was told he was small for his age and would most likely never grow to full size.