This Disappears When Logged In

Help- Snake Not Eating

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Mello, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Mello

Mello New Member

My young albino california kingsnake isn't eating. He/she (I've been assuming 'he' for awhile) hasn't eaten in almost two weeks. It's the first and only snake I've ever had, and I've had him for about year now. He stays in a 10. gal fish tank. He uses aspen bedding, and has a heatpad under one side. The temperatures stay around 68-75 degrees Fahrenheit on the cool side, and the humidity is 50-60%, I use a gauge that tells me those two things.

He's eaten plenty before. I think it's because I started feeding him live pinkies. Since then, he hasn't taken to f/t pinkies anymore. Any suggestions on how to get him to eat the frozen ones again?

I've tried: warming them; cutting them so he can smell the blood (google told me to try that, eheh..); waving them in front of his face; leaving him in his feeding container to eat; and (I was desperate) I even tried leaving the thawed mouse in his enclosure to see if he'd prefer eating it there. None of this had any effect.

Mind you he does eat, as I gave him a two live pinkies about two weeks ago. Since then, I had to freeze the rest so they wouldn't grow too big, but when introduced him to the f/t pinkies, he completely ignores them!

So what I'm asking is-- how to get my Kingsnake to go back to eating Frozen Mice?

Attached Files:

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Have you tried warming them in hot water then rubbing the f/t pinkies on live mice to give them a fresh scent?

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

And are you sure it's not getting ready to shed? Some will go off food then, and with albinos it can be easy to miss the signs.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Your tank is too cool. You need a basking area of 85-90 degrees.
    What type of device?

5. Schwing

Schwing Member

Try cutting a slit behind the neck of the f/t pinkie. This helps increase the scent of the mouse, which entices snakes to eat them. Once they've had live, it can sometimes be hard to switch them back to f/t.