This Disappears When Logged In

Help Scared And Dark Brown Cwd

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Olivia1011, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Olivia1011

Olivia1011 New Member

Hi, my fiance and I recently got a CWD because my fiance used to have one but he passed away after 15 years, when we bought the dragon it was a beautiful green (we've only had for 1 week) we recently moved and it's gone dark brown and hides. The temperature of the terrarium is perfect and so is humidity according to the vet, we dont know what's wrong. Please help 20180722_132127.jpg

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you show a few photos of the whole enclosure including a top view, and say exactly what the ambient and basking surface temps are plus the humidity range and how you measure those?
    I would guess the colour is down to the lizard being stressed at the moment.

3. Olivia1011

Olivia1011 New Member

Yes of course. The humidity is a constant 80%, 84 degrees on the hot side and 78 degrees on the cool side. He loves to sit on his water fall and turns bright green at night and when I'm holding him but when I'm not he goes back to brown. I know his terrarium is too small right now we are in the midst of building a new one. He was green in this terrarium before. I really think it's the stress of moving.

Attached Files:

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos and details. There is no way you can control the temps or humidity with the screen top, a quick fix is to cover it as completely as possible using kitchen foil/similar.
    If the gauge/s are analogue they can be quite inaccurate (as much as 15%+ out) which means you/I have no idea what the "real" figures may be if that`s the case, if so you need a digital hygrometer for ambient (air) temps and humidity plus an IR Temp-gun to measure the basking surface temp.
    Every single day the lizard is subjected to unsupportive conditions will have a detrimental effect on it`s health, as will forced handling it before its even had time to fully acclimate to the enclosure (that can take many, many weeks).

Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay

Digital Infrared Handheld Temperature Laser Gun Thermometer Non-Contact IR Point 6025715922779 | eBay

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  5. Jonnb

Jonnb New Member

Actually I wanted to ask how long it takes to tame a cwd . I've had nine 2months now and he's still a little skittish