This Disappears When Logged In

Help!!! Red Ear Slider Aggressive

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Rebar, May 21, 2014.

1. Rebar

Rebar Member

I took in two new red ear sliders bc a friend couldn't keep them i have one adult male who has grown up with another turtle but she passed away but now is trying to bite the other turtles is this just showing I'm the alfa???and will it go away???

2. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

Turtles are solitary in the wild and only share space and basking spots when necessary. Unfortunately this behavior will probably not go away. In my opinion it is best if they are housed separately and only together for mating purposes, if you cannot separate them, the next best thing is a tank with enough space for them to claim their own territory (my rule of thumb for tank-sizing is at least 10 gallons per inch of shell) and enough basking spots for each to bask (at least 1 per turtle). The more space you an give them the better. Just keep in mind there is an inherent risk that comes with housing turtles together, they can cause serious damage to tankmates (biting off tails, legs, etc). Also turtles can end up killing their tankmates. I don't want to scare you, just putting it out there. Size is also a factor, so keep in mind that a significantly larger turtle can do more damage. I would separate them if you can.

3. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Could be a problem for you all right. What sex are the 2 new turtles? That is important!

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

And size can be a huge issue, if they are much different in size you will absolutely need to seperate them.