This Disappears When Logged In

HELP!!! Possible Mites! :(

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by discordia, Jul 11, 2011.

1. discordia

discordia Member

Okay, here's the story. A friend caught a Texas spiny lizard in a large bin she had outside for her pig feed and I took him home. He looked like he'd been stuck in there for a while and was a little skinny and dehydrated. Normally I don't take things home I find outside... I have too many other reptiles that I could possibly be exposing to mites or anything else he could have, but I made an exception for this little dude. Like an idiot I didn't look him over like I should have. I was busy doing things and we just put him in a carrier and set him aside for when I left, and I was too tired later to try to catch him and check. Honestly, by then, it didn't even occur to me to look. :|
    So anyway, I had him for the past week or so and I couldn't get him to eat anything, but he seemed to be doing better anyway. Maybe he just needed a little tlc. I even managed to hold the guy a time or two and he was okay. Then today, like 20 minutes ago, I check on him and he's attached to the screen lid, showing off his pretty blue sided belly...with odd large black dirt looking things lodged under some of the scales on his neck. I pretty much knew immediately I'd screwed up by not checking him sooner, and sure enough, after I got a dull clean thin nail and prodded the black creepies a little, I noticed their freaky little red legs. They tried to squish themselves back into his neck every time I moved him. They were pretty large, bigger than any mites I've had experience with. Solid black with super thin hairlike red legs, about the size of a pin head or a deer tick. There were like 6 on his neck. I feel bad, but I panicked and immediately grabbed the lid off the tank, with the poor thing on it, and took it outside to a grassy area. I see these guys outside constantly so I wasn't worried about him finding somewhere to hang out. I shooed him off the lid and he bailed. I feel bad now, in retrospect, but all I could think of were the other babies I have in my house that he could give those things to. I just wanted to get him out of the house. I was planning on releasing him in the next day or two anyway...

ANYWAY... Does anyone know what type of mite/bug these things I'm describing are???? Like I said... Fat black bugs with hairlike red legs, about the side of a pin head. Please, please, please, if anyone has any info, let me know! I'll be bleaching his tank and everything in it tomorrow.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It sounds more to me like ticks. Mites are pretty small about the size of flecks of pepper. And generally, when noticed, there are a heck of a lot of them.

3. discordia

discordia Member

But they looked nothing like ticks... :( I have no idea what they were.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sounds like Ticks;

This is from the link below!
    Eradicating Reptile Mites - Reptile, amphibian

5. discordia

discordia Member

Oh, so gross... I'm going to google some pictures and see what I find.
    Thanks to both of you for the info!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Try putting the lizard in a white bowl full of water and giving a quick wipe down. If mites are present you should see tiny flecks in the water. Unlike ticks that latch on and stay put, mites tend to move around the animal often congregating near the eyes and the vent.

7. discordia

discordia Member

I already let him go, right before I posted this thread. I know what most reptile mites look like, I just wanted to know if anyone had seen anything like this before and knew what they were. Oh well.