This Disappears When Logged In

HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by Kupo2001, Oct 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kupo2001

Kupo2001 Member

I got a dune gecko/sand eye what ever u may want to call it. 3 days ago He ate a wax worm the 1st day i got him the 2nd day he ate one in the morning and puked it up later that night. I don't think he has eaten since I have his tank set up right between 90-95 for this little desert guy. But the pet store had him in a 70-80 degree tank with skinks that were attacking him. He hasn't eaten anything since he puked his wax worm up i think. PLease give me suggestions on what to do. He's stick straight too i know lizards have chubby bellys if they are in normal health. PLease give suggestions Greatly appreacitaed i don't want my new little buddy to die on me. I will feel horriable. I've had him for 3 days now What should i do? Thank you for ur responses.

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

What substrate do you have him on? Have you tried feeding him anything besides wax worms?

He could also still be settling due to the 'bullying' from the last place.

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

He may take a few days to adjust. Make sure you have hides on both ends of the cage

4. Kupo2001

Kupo2001 Member

ok

I have crickets in his cage to eat at his own pleasure but he has eaten none I've been keeping track of them. I have tried meal worms also. I was told at the pet store they made sure he ate and i guess his tank was about 90 there from what the reptile carer told me today. She said she made sure he was eating and it could take up to a weak b4 he adjusts fully. So i don't know I still have been keeping a close eye on him to make sure he will be alright.

5. lola

lola Elite Member

i would give him a chance to settle down before you worry too much! it is very stressful for any lizard (or any animal for that matter) to be moved to a new habitat and have everything they know turned upside down. plus, it seems as though the poor guy was suffering at the pet store, being picked on by skinks and what-not. also, if he is really skinny, he has not been eating, or not been eating well, so that puts stress on the bugger, too.

i wouldn't recommend feeding him waxworms...that will make him only want to eat waxworms, and they aren't the most nutritious (although quite flavorful :))bugs. what did he eat at the pet store? it can sometimes be a bad idea to leave uneaten, live crickets in a lizard's tank: the crickets can cause injury to the lizards. the mealworms are a good idea, left in a bowl just deep enough so they can't climb out, with a bit of calcium powder. you could even put a waxworm or two in there to spark his interest.

i also suggest you leave him alone for a week or two...only disturbing him to feed and water him, and let him relax and get used to his new surroundings. i wouldn't even clean his cage or anything...unless to just pick a little here and there...just let him get used to the smell of the place and let him put his scent on everything. that way he will feel more comfortable and more at home.

good luck,

lola

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

There are several different species that go by the name dune gecko. All belong to the genus Stenodactylus. The various species all go by many different names, including fan-footed gecko, thin-fingered gecko, elegant gecko, sand gecko, etc. Chances are you have an Israeli dune though. They seem to be the most common ones as pets. If you want to find more info on them, I'd try using the scientific name, Stenodactylus petrii cause no matter what you use for the common name, the scientific name will be the same. That may not necessarily be the same species as your gecko though, but I'm just making a guess. The first thing that I think could be wrong is the prey size. Dune's only get about 2-3 inches long, so you may be feeding him prey that's just too large. If the prey item is longer than the distance between your gecko's eyes, its too big. Try feeding small crickets and fruit flies.

7. Kupo2001

Kupo2001 Member

Thank -you

I've been doing much of ur suggstions i will try leaving him alone for a week like u say. and i only am giving him waxworms to fatten him up he has crickets to eat as well as wax worms so i think he will be alright like u guys said he needs to get use to his new surrondings probably.

8. Kupo2001

Kupo2001 Member

i mean

he has crickets waxworms and mealworms to eat. i have 4 meal worms in his dish 2 wax worms and 1 cricket in the cage i think i see a poop so thats a good sign anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.