This Disappears When Logged In

Help Please! New Rankin Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by dragonfly777, Nov 29, 2012.

1. dragonfly777

dragonfly777 Member

temperature in the room is around 70 degrees both day and night. I have actually been using a small electric heater to keep warmer in there for the little guy though. I am going out in a couple hours to get the digital and then I'll let you guys know the temps. Murrindiddi would the halogen bulb be in addition to the heat bulb or in place of? I can't thank you guys enough for taking the time to offer advice. I got horrible advice initially (keep him on sand, no thermometer, no gun light) but knew through my own reading it was wrong.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

O.k, if the room temp is stable day and night it makes it much easier to control the enclosure conditions. The halogen flood bulb would replace the other heat bulb, I would try a 50w to start with. Here in the U.K I pay around £5 each (approx $7.50 U.S), and mine last around 3,000 hours (I use "Sylvania", but there are many makes).
    Here`s my Water monitors basking site, I obviously need more bulbs because of his size, but you get the idea.

7916503036_259e70c930.jpg
    100_1214 by murrindindi, on Flickr

Attached Files:

3. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Agreed. I would also consider grabbing a dimmer or rheostat to use inline with the outdoor halogen. Doing so will allow you to adjust output without messing too much with heights.

4. dragonfly777

dragonfly777 Member

update...I went about 5 places yesterday but was finally able to get the digital thermometer and bulb. (The bulb was easy anyways) and as you all suspected temps were to low! The new light has raised everything by about 10 degrees but it's still not enough as the basking area has not reached 105. I. got a. 50 watt. But today I'm going to go the next size up which is 65. Hopefully that will get me where I need to be. Yesterday he didn't really move today with the new light he has a least perked his little head up. I am not handling him but should I still mist him? Before he got lethargic he was playing in his water but last couple days he has not.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, how far in cm or inches is the 50w halogen bulb from the animal when basking?

6. dragonfly777

dragonfly777 Member

Well if hes on top of his log that goes up and close to the light about 4 inches. There are also some rocks at the base of the log under the light where he really likes to hang out thats more like 8 inches.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Is it possible to use a firmly fixed flat stone/tile as a basking surface, as they hold heat much better than the log, and perhaps then the surface temp would rise? I wouldn`t go closer than 4 inches from the surface of the bulb to the lizard. The point is, in such a small tank you still need a cool side of around 24c (75f), and a higher wattage bulb might make it too warm (as I said in the beginning, it`s trial and error).

8. dragonfly777

dragonfly777 Member

There are rocks under the basking light they are on the bottom, so just can't get as close to the light with those as the log. They do get warm and hold the heat though. With the new bulb the cool side is at 76 the problem is as of yesterday the basking spot only got too 100. I only had. The latest bulb I got was only on for a couple hours yesterday so I'm hoping maybe the temp will get up where it needs to be with it on longer. I noticed the snake people use card board to insulate the glass and keep more heat from escaping. Any thoughts on that? I don't think I should go up anymore watts or like you said the whole tank will be too warm.

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Cardboard is a good idea.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, just tape either cardboard or thin plywood around the top and bottom edges on the outside of the glass, that should raise the temps quite a bit.

11. dragonfly777

dragonfly777 Member

Update...your advice worked and I have attained proper temps! My little guy is still not moving around much or eating..so now I guess I just give him a couple days?

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I think once the lizard has settled in a bit more he/she should start eating and behaving more normally. Allow a week at least where you`re just leaving the food/water and doing the necessary cleaning, no handling at all.
    Good for you for listening and acting on our advice! :)

13. dragonfly777

dragonfly777 Member

Wow! You guys are amazing! I just witnessed my little dude Drogo chow down some crickets! I'm a proud mama and it may not have happened without your wonderful advice! Now I just wish I could figure out how to put a pic up with my phone so you could see how handsome he is!

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Great to hear! Its amazing the difference a few degrees can make in a reptile.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m the last person to offer advise on putting photos up, but here`s my way: I download my pics to Flickr (free), then choose the medium sized image to copy and paste to here, that way they come out nice and big and clear (magic`s involved, I think)..... :confused: ;)