This Disappears When Logged In

Help Needed To Construct A New Vivarium

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by stano40, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stano40

stano40 Elite Member

I want to thank everyone who posted on the construction of a new home for my red-eye (Emerald is his name).

I have been on several so-called frog and vivarium sites and no one has ever answer except one who said to just look around the site and copy what everybody else is doing. That was really helpful.

But you members deserve a BIG THANK YOU.

All the help and advise really helped in the start of the new home for Emerald and I'll be looking for snake plant and mother in-law's tongue.

Sincerely

bob

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You are welcome. I think we could tell you wanted to do the best for your frog and I'm in a building mood anyway.

Snake plant/mother in law tounge is the same thing. I don't think they will work for your viv since they get really tall and you only have a 20 gallon. I have one in my 90 gallon and its at least 18 inches tall.

There are lots of strong leaved plants out there. Don't worry about going to Lowes or Home Depot. All my plants came from there. Just wash off the leaves really well, rinse the roots under room temp water in the sink really well. you will get it all. Bury it under a good amount of coco-husk.

If you look in my RETF tank, the one with the squiggle vine, there is a broad leafed plant on the right side. It is easy to trim back and I stick the trimmings back into the soil for more plants eventually. They LOVE it and stick to it all the time. Of course I can't for the life of me remember what its called, but you can look for something similar.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Liz I think that is a peperomia sp.

4. stano40

stano40 Elite Member

Hi Everyone,

Just read all the wonderful posts again to make sure I didn't miss anything.

The colored disks are gone, my wife took them out last night.

The background is a good idea, since I've done this with my beardies.

But I'm cheap and I usually print out free tropical scenes from my computer onto legal size paper and paste them together to form 1 long continuous scene, in color, what else.

By the way, I sit in my living room surrounded by my lizards and amphibian's. My wife's many snakes are in a private room all to themselves.

Yes, i'm going to use a better thermostat and humidity gauge.

I'll show you what I inherited by means of taking in a few reptiles that I re homed for a very nice man. Among which was the red-eyed tree frog.

The first photo shows a white temperature guage called "thermo-hygro" and it has a few settings. one says mode/set/reset, max/min, in/out, fz . alert/alm/snz. The other one says BAH-1000 thermostat and has a plug outlet to control other heating pads or Under Tank Heater's, a heat regulator.

[​IMG]

The next photo shows a Zoo-Med Repti-Temp 500R Thermostat, another heat regulator and also a small digital thermometer, coralife by ESU Reptiles.

[​IMG]

I suppose something in there could be used for "Emerald", that's the tree frog's name. I found out his name last night asking the previous owner about him.

Almost forgot to mention that we gave him about 6 to 8 dusted (calcium) pin head crickets, I also have meal worms and wax worms.

I tried a couple of wax worms, I know they are high in fat but I wanted to see if he were hungry and would like the was worms. So far to bite's on the wax worms.

bob

5. schlegelbagel

pin heads seem a bit small for him, but I can't really tell his size. Try half inch. The food should be just smaller than the width between his eyes. And reduce the dusting to every other feeding. Don't want to give him too much. I can't get mine to eat anything other than crickets.

And thermostats are great. I have one on the 90 gallon so I never have to worry about it getting too cold or too warm. Its connected to a lightless heat emitter, then 2, 40 watt bulbs give extra daytime heat.

Sounds like you want to give him a great home :)

6. stano40

stano40 Elite Member

I double checked and there are some small crickets along with the pin heads.

Do you ever feed mealie worms, phoenix worms or wax worms?

bob

7. schlegelbagel

i can't get most of my frogs to eat anything but crickets. they don't move enough. 3 of my frogs will eat mealworms after they have warmed up and wiggle a bit.

I thought for a treat I would give them wax worms for christmas... Grace snapped one up, spat it out and looked at me like i was nuts.

I do get some of them to eat earth worms too.

8. stano40

stano40 Elite Member

I don't think emerald liked the wax worms either. I had a couple of them in a dish and had to get rid of them today because they were starting to turn brown and black.

It's hard to tell though if he's eating any of the crickets or if their just too small for him to bother with.

He seems to like his new home and the semi daily misting. He's back on the glass just sleeping so I measured him from there and he is 2". I told my wife about how to determine the size of crickets for him and she believes he can go to a medium cricket with no problem.

bob

9. schlegelbagel

yes, if the pray is too small they won't even bother. Move up in cricket size. Keep the pinheads, they will grow!

I think my RETF are about 2.5 - 3" and they take 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch crickets no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.