This Disappears When Logged In

Help Needed To Construct A New Vivarium

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by stano40, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stano40

stano40 Elite Member

I recently took in a red-eyed tree frog and his 10 gal. vivarium.

I would like some ideas on how to set up a **NEW** vivarium in a 20 gal. tall tank as his new home.

The new tank already has an Under Tank Heater on it, but I'm not sure if that's advisable to use.

The following photos are of the 10 gal. tank the tree frog already has and the last photo will be the new and hopefully improved home.

I would need to know from the max type of set up to the minimum set up that can be done.

All Natural.

I am dumping the log that is already in his 10 gal tank because of the little bugs that I am spotting in there.

I would like to utilize all that remains in the 10 gal into the new 20 gal tall, minus the water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next photo shows the pump with a rock covering that is already being used in the 10 gal.

Would a bigger pump be required?

[​IMG]

This is going to be his new home when it is cleaned and sanitized.

[​IMG]

The next photo is of some of the extra equipment that came with the red eye and I believe one is another filter and the one with the tubing is for filtering the water.

[​IMG]

Thank You for your help.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

YAY construction.

1. I would ditch the water setup. Its not needed, he will rarely use it.
    2. think arboreal.
    3. Plants are good.

You can build something really really simple and inexpensive that he will love. I'm horrible at describing stuff, so I'll post a photo of my old 29 gallon setup and give you a little description. This was for my whites, but the same setup will work for a red eye too.

[​IMG]

1. The substrate is about 4 inches of coco-husk fiber. The kind that comes in a brick and expands.

2. Rocks from my backyard, boiled for 30 minutes to disinfect.

3. Branches from my backyard, baked at 300 degrees for 30 mins to disinfect.

4. water dish, deep enough to soak, not too deep to drown. You can get a ceramic small dog bowl for this. Just change the water out every other day.

5. A pothos in a tall pot since they like to grow down. Frogs like their leaves. (lucky its in your tank already)

6. Another plant with thick leaves so the frogs can perch on them. Go to your local garden store and choose something nice. Stay away from plants with red or purple leaves. Think green. Once you choose your plants rinse the leaves and soil very well and plant right into the tank.

7. you will need to cover 3 sides of the tank so the frog feels secure in his new home. I chose some aquarium paper.

8. Light/heat. I would ditch the under tank heater. You need something that will bring the temp up around 79 - 82 degrees during the day, and 73 or so at night. I have a hood that has a spot for 2 bulbs. I keep the bulbs on times, day and night, its plenty to keep my 37 gallon hot. (I no longer have this 29). I know petsmart sells it for $40ish or so. It also has a strip for a florescent light. I got a garden one at HD to help the plants. RETF need no special light. The hood also keeps humidity in.

9. Humidity/temp gauge is important. Make sure you get a good digital one. your humidity needs to stay between 60 and 80%.

Now, saying all this, find a setup you like. I just gave you an example of a tank I made that cost next to nothing.

*edit*
    I think I should add my other tank, the 37, that cost an arm and a leg LOL. Worth it though. this is their current tank.
    [​IMG]

3. stano40

stano40 Elite Member

Liz (schlegelbagel),

Just in the nick of time. My wife is giving me a hard time now after seeing your post and photo's. She didn't like all the water in there and felt it too wasn't necessary.

I'm still glad I posted though because it reinforced what we want to do plus gave us some great ideas.

I'm changing the log though because of the little bugs I've been seeing and the plants will get a good wash including the roots. This way we'll just plant the pothos into the coco substrate.

How moist do you keep the substrate?

bob

4. schlegelbagel

some people insist you need a drainage layer for the substrate, but in all my house plant keeping, as long as you don't over water, there is no reason. I keep the substrate damp to the touch. Misting once a day keeps it just about right. I water the actual plants once a week in addition to misting, if needed. I do the finger touch to check. If they are dry, water!

If you want, you can also mix in organic potting soil with the coco-husk shred. I find plants do really well with this combination. Make sure the potting soil doesn't have those little white balls in it. Those could cause a problem with your frogs.

Remember, they are tree frogs. Branches and high areas are important and will keep them happy.

Here is a photo of my even larger enclosure. 90 gallons (75 livable after the dirt was added) for 6 whites tree frogs. You might get even a few more ideas.

[​IMG]

5. stano40

stano40 Elite Member

Liz,

This is what we've done so far with what's available and a couple of items I had extra.

We found they plants in the old tank were actually 4 plants together so we separated them and washed the roots and then planted them into the substrate.

This is that 20 gal long.

Top View:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Long View:

[​IMG]

In that water dish we placed colored stones and then enough water for him to drink without drowning him.

We're going to have to find a few tall plants for him to climb on.

bob/stano40

6. schlegelbagel

Thats a good start for sure. You need a few changes.

First, those little marble things need to come out of the dish. They could get swallowed and cause impaction. If you want something like that, i know they make big ones the size of of silver dollars.

maybe this weekend, go out and collect a few fallen branches, about the same width as your froggie so he has some more perches.

And i would try for one taller plant in there. Something with strong broad leaves so he can sleep on them if he wants to. Fake plants are OK too, but I prefer live.

Looking good so far. I'm glad you want to help out the little guy :)

7. stano40

stano40 Elite Member

Will do, I just can't imagine he could swallow those stones which are about the size of a large dime.

Do you really think he can swallow those? I've never seen a red eye eat before so I'm going by your word on this.

I am planning to find a large broad leaf plant. I don't want to get anything from a walmart or lowes type store seeing their plants come from commercial nurseries and may contain pesticides. So, I'll check the pet stores and if all else fails I know I can get one from the reptile show this coming April in Manchester, NH.

[​IMG]

bob

8. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Good luck on your new addition!! I have been toying with the idea of getting a red eye but, now, don't have the space. Thanks to all the valuable advice I received from Liz and everyone else, I now have 5 tree frog setups. ( I had too many species living together, something like a college dorm.) Once again, good luck and keep up the pictures, he sure looks cute!!!

9. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Snake plant or mother in laws tonuge to some. Its wide and broad leafed, and grows up. I use it for my day gecko. Works great for him.

10. lizardking508

lizardking508 Elite Member

Good luck with the new guy. The new enclosure is starting to look good.

Ron

11. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Lucky. Red eyes are so cool. I keep fighting with myself back in forth about getting them for my vertical vivarium in progress.

12. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I would ditch the pebbles/ marbles. You would be surprised what the frog can fit in their mouth, anything that is about the space between their eyes is small enough to be swallowed. It really isn't necessary. The dish does not look deep enough that you would have to worry about it drowning.

Also keep in mind that the advantage of live verses fake plants is that the live will help keep the humidity up.

13. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Oh and ditch the cheap hydrometer and get yourself a digital thermometer/hydrometer combo. Those disk ones are not very accurate, and if you get one that has a remote probe on it you can move it to different areas of the tank and keep an eye on everything...
    This one does not have the remote probe but is a nice one.Fluker's All New Digital Display Thermo-Hygrometer at PETCO

here is a thermometer with the probe Reptile | Reptile Habitats & Accessories | Digital Thermometer for Terrariums | Petsmart.com

14. schlegelbagel

one last thing i want to add.

get some aquarium background, or even some newspaper, anything, and cover up at least 2 but preferably 3 sides of the glass. It will help your frog feel more secure and therefore happy.

How much are you feeding him?

15. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

That flukers thing is a piece of crap. Mine worked for about a year. Then I used it again and the display was messed up, replaced the battery and it lasted maybe 2 weeks. So I threw it away. If you want to get a good one go to radio shack or look online for one. It was a waste of 16 bucks, well now its like 25 at petsmart.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And you can find a similar item at any hardware or Garden center.

17. schlegelbagel

my flukers one's are on their last leg too, and they are only a year old. I'll be replacing them with ones from a garden shop.

18. Merlin

My first one from Lowes is 7 years old and going strong

19. schlegelbagel

I went to home depot and lowes about 2 months ago and couldn't find one. I'm hoping its because it was winter. I'll check next time I need something from there.

20. Merlin

Their garden centes do thin out over the winter to make room for fake christmas tree city!
    But you can usually still find them you just have to look or ask someone.
    I have found them in some really strange areas!
    Like next to barbecue grills!:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.