This Disappears When Logged In

Help, My Uro Has Worms!

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Hekhu10, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Hekhu10

Hekhu10 Member

I have been cleaning my Uro's cage daily and have not noticed anything strange about his poop until today. I've only had him a couple of weeks and I don't know how he could get worms. I was told that he was captive bred, so I thought I was going to avoid the parasite issue :( Anyways, today I saw him poop for the first time (as he was actually doing it) and the poop was rather slimy looking and had little worms on it (I think they are hookworms or pinworms from pictures I've found) that were moving! Just as I noticed them my Uro came up and ATE the worms! Now I am wondering if he has had worms all along and was just eating them before I noticed he had pooped and cleaned it up!

Now, my problem is that I know I should probably take him or at least his fecal sample into the vet. Since I barely got him, he has not been to the vet yet. I live in a small town, and when I called up the local vet telling her I believe my Mali Uromastyx had worms and I wanted to bring her in, the receptionist went on and on about how he needed his vaccinations and distemper shots (LOL!) and I was sitting there in disbelief and trying to imagine my poor little lizard being pumped full of distemper shots. I then told her I had never heard of lizards getting DISTEMPER shots, and she said "What? You have a lizard?! I thought you were talking about a strange breed of puppy! We do not handle exotic pets"....that was seriously the weirdest conversation of my life. I have not been able to find a vet in my area that handles Uros or reptiles....so....what can I do?

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

3. Hekhu10

Hekhu10 Member

Thanks for the quick reply, mld...

I live in southern Wisconsin, but at least an hour or more from any of those on the link you gave. I guess I will have to make the trip though. Do you think my Uro would do okay traveling a couple of hours in a car as long as we keep the heat on (still kind of cold outside)? I'm not sure what to transport him in....I'm hoping he doesn't get super stressed out. Thank you for the link!

4. mld

5. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

he should be fine as long as you keep him warm, I transport animals in shoe box sized plastic tubs, or smaller/ large tubs depending on their size.

6. Hekhu10

Hekhu10 Member

Nope...over 3 hours from Chicago. We're to the north of Madison and Milwaukee but to the south of Green Bay. I think I found a place that's only about an hour's drive though, and they have reptiles in their commercial.

Home

They're also open late so I might be able to get there after work later this week so that's good news. What would you recommend transporting my Uro in...he's less than 6 inches long.....

7. mld

That great, I hour away isn't too bad, and Missabrat gave you information on transportation!
    Good Luck, it good to catch these things before it gets worse!
    Keep us posted on how it goes!

8. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

If about an hour drive something the size of a shoebox should be fine...Just make sure you do keep it warm.. I'm glad you found a vet that does specialize in reptiles. Luckily you caught it fairly early on in your care, so hopefully with treatment your Uro will be fine.. I will be thinking of you and your Uro during this time...
    Please keep us updated.

(On a side note, if nothing else this thread will hopefully serve as a warning for others that, like you, feel that only wild caught Uros can get worms..It does show that even captive bred animals can indeed get parasites, and a fecal check is always a good idea for any new addition....Also another example of why Quarantine is SOOO very important.)

9. mld

Great pointing that out Connie, it's so true! It's always important to search your area for a vet,before you purchase an animal/reptile, accidents happen and you never know when you will need one.

10. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

What are some ways a captive bread reptile can get parasites? From the feeders?

11. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Potentally, yes. Or having contact with feces of an already infected reptile.
    Its called fecal oral transmisson, and thats one of the reasons a simple parasite infection can get out of control and cause serious health issues.
    They just keep reinfecting them selves over and over again by being in an enclosure, developing a heavy parasite load.
    In the wild, most animals have parasites, but dont cause problems because they poop and move on, instead of being confined with thier poop.Their immune system can keep a small infection in check.
    Thats why its important to always check for parasites, regardless if its captive bred or wild caught.
    Another way it can get out of control is stress alone. Ie being caught and transported, sold and then handled. All this stress compromises the immune system, then the parasites flourish.
    Pretty crazy to think about.

12. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

That's certainly something to keep in mind :)

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Every living thing on the planet has parasites. Even people! It is beleived that a certain level of parasites are beneficial, in a symbiotic relationship with the host. Its when the parasites get out of control due to stress, illness, etc and the body can no longer keep them in check, that problems happen.
    Most internal parasites shed their eggs in feces. So as the animal has contact with the infected feces it continues to reinfect itself and get more and more of the parasite.
    This is one of those need to get to a vet times. If not the situation will get worse and worse until the parasites basically consume your pet from the inside.

14. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

So where are you in WI? I go to the Saukville Vet clinic. It's about 30 minutes from me and they are SO REASONABLY priced. I have given that info in the vet finder too. Dr. Sheppard is my vet and he's good with exotics.

15. mld

She mentioned that she is

16. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Thats a good point about people and parasites. I read an article written by a doctor(the name escapes me) Who beleives that as a society we are too clean, and , ie, disinfectants, antimicrobial hand soap, and even indoor plumbing. Are immune systems arent challenged enough, he says, and links this to autoimmine diseases like chrones, rheumitoid arthritis, and psoriosis, and eveb severe allergies.
    He actually infected himself with hook worms to treat his allergies(he went to a third world country and walked through human feces) And his allergies improved immensly. He saysbthe parasites will live for three to five years, and is actually selling them. Gross, but very interesting.

Sorry to go off topic. =)

17. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Something that you might consider as far as the wormings go is you might ask the local vet if they would still be willing to do fecal float tests. They are going to be the same for a lizard or a puppy and will let you know once he's wormed if they are indeed gone without having to drive an hour to another vet each time.
    Just because a receptionist doesn't know what a Uromastyx is doesn't mean the vet can't ID and treat parasite.
    Receptionists require no formal training, I am one so I would know, I have to deal with people all the time who can't tell a Siamese cat from a Cocker Spaniel. The vet may still be able to help.

18. Hekhu10

Hekhu10 Member

Okay, so I talked to someone I work with who has a friend with bearded dragons. He told me about a local vet he takes fecals to, and has seen his beardies a few times. I decided to give them a call since I'd be able to get there right away. Unfortunately, my Uro did not poop for some reason for a day before I took him in, which is unusual, so I couldn't bring in a fresh fecal. The vet had a deworming mixture that would work for either tapeworms or hookworms/roundworms since he didn't have a fresh fecal to identify the kind of worms (I'm thinking they were segments of a tapeworm now). The problem was that no one could pry my poor Uro's mouth open. They have very powerful jaws, as I'm sure you already know, and he was being very stubborn. The vet sent me home with the medication and a dropper and syringe telling me to give him .2mL now and then again in 2 weeks. But if the doctor wasn't able to pry his mouth open, how am I supposed to? Any ideas? I just want to help Akhekhu.

By the way, I live in Beaver Dam...about and a half or so from Saukville I think.

I have completely emptied and washed his enclosure and everything in it and put him on newspaper for now and now I've just got to find out how to pry this poor little guy's mouth open....

19. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

You can try by administering small amonts, by just parting his lips enough to squirt along his gum line. Hold him in one hand using your thumb and index fingers to genly restrain him around his shoulders. Make sure you are not restricting his breathing, if he is able to expand his rib cage, then he should be ok, this is why you hold the shoulders. While doing this keep him tilted back a bit so gravity helps the medication run down his throat.

This works for me when medicating my water dragon, its less stressfull than prying his mouth open, and you dont need a second pair of hands. Just takes a few minutes. Just make sure you give him a chance to swallow, otherwise youll be wasting your meds.

20. mld

This is something that I read from Deer Fern Farms on administering medications