This Disappears When Logged In

Help! My Beardie is Pregnant and I Found a Shrivelled Egg!! HELP

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by kellyhodges, Jul 8, 2010.

1. kellyhodges

kellyhodges Member

hi,,ok i have 3 beardies,,,2 males and 1 female,,one male is seperate and the other two live together. So, they mated a few weerks ago and i know she is pregnant but this evening i was clearing the viv and i found what i thought was an egg,,but maybe it was a HUGE white/cream part of the poop..so after investigating a little more i clearly found it was an egg. now the egg looked kind of driedout on one side not nice and shiney like an average egg. I need advice on what to do when i find the rest. i have the polestyrene box set up with heat mat and thermo so thats ok,,,but what do i do,,and is it normal for her to just have one egg,,should it of looked a bit dried out and ARGHHHHH:confused: what to do..i feel like an hysterical mother:(((

any advice is greatly welcome.

many thanks

Kel x :D

Mother to
    3 x Beardies....Storm - Star - Stan and our Calafornia Albino Kingsnake...Sid

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, first of all, did you turn the egg when you took it out of the tank, if so, it will probably be too late to do anything with it, they MUST remain in the same position as they were when she deposited them, and do you know the proper incubation temps etc, and what will the eggs be placed on in the incubator? Can you put a couple of photos up? Thanks!

3. kellyhodges

kellyhodges Member

hi,,well im pretty new to this so,, the incubator temp is between between 90 and 95 and has a habitat regulator. when i founf the egg it was buried and i think she has kicked it as she is digging like crazy still all the time so i think she moved it herself and the egg is definately gone as it was pierced,,,whach is a shame. as for what am i putting the eggs on in the incubator,,i was told a mixture of sand and the wood shavings / straw i use for my snake is ok as it retians the heat and supports the eggs. What do you suggest?? and when i move the eggs i will make sure not to move them or rotate them,,,also how long do i keep them in there for i.e if they are dead i dont want to keep them there for like 8 weeks and all i am doing is incubating dead eggs. what are the sings of unfertile eggs (otherthan not hatching)

thanks again

Kel x

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, o.k, here we go: Incubation temps should be between 27 to 29c, (80 to 84f), or 29 to 31c, (84 to 88f), incubation time between 55 to 86 days. Vermiculite or Perlite are good for keeping the eggs on, mix with water to a 1to1 ratio. about 1/3rd buried.
    Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention, it would be best to provide a nesting box for her, just fill it with a mix of sand/soil (play sand and potting soil is o/k), they can have 3 or 4 clutches in a season. You can candle the eggs, you will see the blood vessels if they are fertile, just use a torch to check (flashlight).

5. kellyhodges

kellyhodges Member

hi,,ok cool,,,so temp is ok then,,and i already have them on playsand and i already put a container in woth a mix of fine straw and sand. is it normal though to just lay one egg??

Thanks again

Kel in Swindon UK

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

No, she will probably lay more if there`s somewhere for her to nest in, otherwise she will just drop them anywhere, or if the worst came to the worst, keep them inside which would be a very serious problem (but I`m not saying that`s likely), just keep an eye on her. Good luck, keep asking questions!

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If the temp in the incubator is 90 to 95f it`s too high, there have been studies in Australia that too high temps can effect the sex ratio, but it`s best just to go with the recommended temps, betwen the range I gave, 27 to 31c, (80 to 88f).

8. kellyhodges

kellyhodges Member

ok cool,,thanks for all your help,,ill keep you posted,,,she does go to the container and addmitedly the egg was next to it,,so maybe she just mis-judged it. lets see what happens over night.

Thanks again

for now

Kel

9. kellyhodges

kellyhodges Member

another point,,,is it normal to just lay one egg?

10. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

If you leave them in the tank too long they will shrivel. After a few hours on the humid incubation substrate they should plump back up. Incubate everything until it smells. Some on the best babies come from ugly eggs. Good luck. I keep my bator at 86 F and get a good ratio. You may also want to mark the top of the egg with a marker so you know how it should stay oriented.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I also would NOT use the wood shavings in the incubator. The heat and moisture will cause it to grow fungus and rot.

12. kellyhodges

kellyhodges Member

hi all,,,update,,,this afternoon i came back from work to find a diryy nosed mummy lizard as she has laid appx 15 eggs at the bottom of the lay box that i put in her viv last night. but what now???? do i leave the lay box in there with the eggs in or do i remove them and put them in the incubator box?????? please advise as i dont want to lose them.

thanks

Kel x

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I answered this in your other thread.

14. Earlington2233

Earlington2233 Elite Member

Just throwing something out there, I'm pretty sure that the first clutch of Eggs the Female will lay will be Infertile? Or there's gonna be a good chance it will be. And the temps at 90 -95 are probably a bit high, 80 - 83 for Females, 84 - 86 for Mix, 87 - 89 for Males. :)