This Disappears When Logged In

Help! Lost Python!!!

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by kellykoster, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Oops. It seems like I did read it wrong haha. Then yes I would agree with him. I read more as him saying that a 5ft snake is dangerous. My apologies.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. Poison

Poison Elite Member

As I said, I read it wrong. As for questioning expearienced keepers that is something I will alway do. It helps me learn when I am proven wrong. You don't learn much when starting debates with people who are new to the hobby. Its not meant to be taken offensively.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Indeed! There is a BIG difference in a 5 ft boa and a 5 ft cornsnake!

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually there was a 5+ft black rat snake in the barn yesterday, he was so skinny I could easily and safely move him myself. I would never attempt to handle a python that large on my own. I am a tiny excuse for a person :p

5. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

Check around the fridge they love the ambient heat fr om the back and bottom

6. Majora

Majora Elite Member

I have to admit it's a pet peeve of mine to see people walking around with snakes around their necks. Even if it's a small snake or the person insists they know what they're doing, they're still giving people who DON'T know what they're doing bad ideas. Half the time when I have a customer interested in a boa or python one of the first questions out of their mouth is "So I can walk around with it wrapped around my neck and stuff, right?" and I have to explain why this is a terrible idea. I won't even put a small ball python around my neck, they are capable of putting enough pressure on my hand to make me worry what it could do to my throat. I know it's a one in a billion chance but it only takes one time for things to go wrong, and then we'll have people saying snakes are out to choke and kill us all....

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ask them if they have ever heard of a "choke hold" or "sleeper hold?"
    a few seconds of pressure in the right area and you are OUT!

8. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

My Julius wants to slip around my neck all the time. She's usually pretty loosely wrapped, just around my shoulders, but once she wants to tighten up she comes off. She's pretty docile and compliant, though.

I will admit that if anything shifts in the cupboards, like baking racks and pans sometimes do when not stacked properly, I don't look in the cupboard.. the first place I look is the python's enclosure. I'd like to think that she's in there securely and isn't getting out, but I've heard many folks liken their snakes to Houdini.;|(|

9. Meisterkiyoh

Meisterkiyoh Member

Thats how I am with Banana my Bull Snake(4ft) and my girlfriends black rat Scooby(5ft). They both love to wrap around my arm, and love even more to go across my shoulders and back of my neck. Honestly I don't care if it's a little garter snake, I refuse to let them wrap around my neck, because like stated earlier it give's the wrong impression. Back to topic a little though, Banana got out once, I found her curled up under the small space under my fish tanks canister filter, it's quite surprising where they can squeeze into if they really want to. You really have to look everywhere, if if you don't think they could fit there.