This Disappears When Logged In

Help Leopard Gecko Turning Yellow ???

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Khanke, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Khanke

Khanke New Member

I have a female leopard gecko. I am not sure of her age she I rescued her when she was abandoned by her previous owner. I have worked hard on getting her back into good health. She is normally dark brown and tan banded with the leopard spots from the tip of her nose to the tip of her tail. After the last time she shedded her tan bands turned yellow. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my Diva?

2. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

Normal - they often change in color with aging. I have seen some (including my three) have no yellow, but with each she'd, gain a little more yellow hue to them.

3. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Agreed^. I'm guessing your gecko is young. Normal, high yellow, and tangerine morph leos, for example, are often present with brown to black bands that fade as they age. Adults will only show very light colored bands, if they're noticeable at all.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Baby geckos are born with the banding. As they age it disappears.

5. Khanke

Khanke New Member

Is there a way to get a round about idea of how old she is?? The guy I saved her from only new that she was a female. I had to do research to find out what kind of gecko she was. He was also feeding her pinky mice once a week with the occasional tree roach. Like I said I rescued her. I have no experience with geckos and all of the information I have gotten I have found on here. I have owned numerous snakes in the past and Iguanas. Unlike my previous reptiles I have grown very attached to her. She is like a puppy LOL

6. cassicat4

Do you have a picture of your gecko? And what is her length? This may help give us an idea, but nothing certain.

If she's a confirmed female, and based on her coloration as you've described, my guess is that she would be around 5-6 months of age. I find the banding is not so prominent when they get to be about 7-8 months of age, and it continues to fade until they are fully developed (about a year to a year and a half). As for sex - those who are very experienced with sexing leos can often do so at around 3 months of age, and the inexperienced can do so at about 5-6 months. Based on the previous owner's care, I wouldn't assume him to be the experienced type.

7. Khanke

Khanke New Member

She is 8 1/2 inches from nose tip to tail tip.
    018.jpg
    019.jpg
    020.jpg
    012.jpg
    These two are from when I first got her about a month ago. She has put on some weight since.
    025.jpg
    027.jpg

8. Khanke

Khanke New Member

Ok so none of the belly shots would load but I used the forums care guide pictures and yes it is a girl. Are they always eager to be picked up???

9. cassicat4

Based on your pics and description (of length), I'd estimate she's around the 7-8 month mark. Very pretty girl!

Some are very tolerant of handling, whereas others are not so much. If you have a gecko who will willingly walk onto your hand to be handled, you have a very special gecko indeed. :)