This Disappears When Logged In

Help Deciding On A New Pet.

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by FreeDessert, Jul 25, 2018.

1. FreeDessert

FreeDessert New Member

Hey I have been wanting a lizard for quite a while now however I am having trouble deciding on which species I would like. For quite a long time I have wanted a chameleon and been doing research on that, however that seems like an expensive reptile for a first. I am looking for something handle able, hopefully in a tropical environment, affordable, and may be found commonly in pet stores. The only lizards I do not really like are leopard geckos and bearded dragons. If you have any advise or suggestions for me I would be exceedingly grateful.

2. jonathan.piazza91

jonathan.piazza91 Active Member

Crested geckos are a great option. Do some research on them and if you have questions feel free to ask! They make for cool pets, are fairly easy to keep and handle, and can have aesthetically pleasing enclosures. I think they make a great first time pet reptile but as always, make sure to do some research before jumping in.

Mommasaurusrex likes this.
  3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I would say definitely stay away from chams unless you have at least some experience with other reptile. Setup is very crucial with them and they can be delicate until well established. Actually, I have to second cresteds, one of the easiest lizards to take care of. They can thrive on prepared diets, don't need special lighting and can do fine on normal rooms temps. Caging can be anything from a plain cage with a couple branches and a feeding station, all the way to a fully planted naturalistic setup. They also tolerate handling very well, and can be had fairly inexpensively depending on the coloring and such.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. Chams are too touchy to be a beginner reptile. They also tend to be a look but don't touch pet.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I can tell you from the experience of having a pair die from my poor husbandry that Chams are not for beginners. Despite what pet stores will tell you.
    I agree Cresteds and Gargoyles would be a good choice. I used to have a Gargoyle and found them quite interesting.

6. FreeDessert

FreeDessert New Member

Thank you all for the help! I think im going to get a Crested gecko unless I can find a Gargoyle(to be honest you probably saved a chameleons life). Do any off you have a recommendation of where I might find a Gargoyle? I live in the salt lake city area if that would help.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

You can do a Google search for any reptile shows in your area, if you have no luck with that there are some mail order places you might be able to get one from. I'd recommend going to a show though, even if you have to wait a while. Normally you will be buying direct from the breeder, and you can see the animal and what kind of condition it is in.