This Disappears When Logged In

Help! Can't Figure Out Whats Wrong With Iguana :(

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by TrystanAndRodrigo, Aug 31, 2015.

1. TrystanAndRodrigo

TrystanAndRodrigo Active Member

Hello all!

My roughly 3 year old Iguana has been acting very strange for over a week. He's getting less and less active, hasn't been eating often, sleeps all the time (even while food is in his mouth), has not defecated in a few days and barely responds when being picked up. He use to love sitting up on his branch and look out the window but only lays around at the bottom of the cage.

I feed him a mix of mostly greens and veggies (snow peas, peppers, kale, mustard greens, blueberries, and bananas) He has both kinds of lamps, heating and UVB. He's kept in a very large enclosure. He's gotta be about 3 years old, not very big or anything.

Im just extremely worried about him! If anyone has any ideas, please help. Theres not very many vets, if any professional ones, that work with Iguanas in my area and I know it would very expensive without knowing what could be wrong.
    Pictures were taken right after moving into his new cage and he was healthy. 10984605_997771376913527_2515433642799849828_n.jpg 10646834_997771833580148_4582702189699807620_n.jpg

2. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

If he stopped pooping get him to a vet ASAP.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are the temperatures and humidity in the cage and how are they measured?
    And give us a photo of the lizard now.

4. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Well-Known Member

That sounds very dangerous for the poor guy. Would soaking him in some shallow, warm water help?

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, is it a screen covered enclosure (I can`t tell from the photo)?
    Leaving it directly in front of the window could easily cause it to overheat in the sunlight (VERY dangerous).

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  6. Eagle

Eagle Member

Hi. Your iguana is sick and needs to see a vet immediately. The thumbnail in your signature shows a VERY emaciated iguana. They should NEVER look like that. Murrindindi has a good point. Do you ever see your iguana sitting there with his mouth open? Look...you're obviously doing your best for the little guy. the photos of the enclosure prove that. We just need a little tweaking after he sees a vet. To be honest, his diet kinda sucks, but its not the worst I've seen. What kind of UVB lighting are you using? Do you have a UVB meter to see what he's getting in his basking spot? You have the drive and ambition to make this work, and to give your ig YEARS of happy living...just need to tweak a couple of things. You've come to the right place. Keep communicating with everybody...we'll help you try to fix it.

7. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Wonder what happened here - probably nothing good. Sigh.

8. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

9. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

This iguana is on the point of death, if he has not already gone.

Please let us know? Your setup looks so beautiful!