This Disappears When Logged In

Help!!! Cage And Enclosure For New Monitor

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by barrington, Dec 19, 2017.

1. barrington

barrington Active Member

i have a black roughneck monitor at about 2 feet maybe a little less at a foot and a half and i have an enclosure for him that is one big enough for the moment and that will suffice as far as for good husbandry what i would like to know is my temps and if they are OK before i go to bring him home from where i hose him at?
    in the basking area the temp is at about 95 and that is with a thermometer i have used a lazer and it is at 134-144 in the middle of the cage it is at 88 degrees on the thermometer and lazer checks at at around 75-85 and on the cool end the temp is around 84 on the temp and lazer checks at 70-75 overall no where in the cage is too hot but the lazer pointer through the whole cage is about right from what i know and the temps with the lazer pointer do not exceed 100 degrees through the entire cage and gradually go down from hot to cold in the cage i just want to know if i got it right or what i could do better before bringing the lizard to this new environment it is how ever extremely similar to the one that he is in now i do how ever have a humidifier as well and know that i need to keep it humid in there for him also as you can see with the picture the set up it is not by far finished as far as furnishings but there are alot of hiding places for him to go whether you can see them or not
    please help me with anything you can to help me out if i am wrong or do anything better the sooner the better

Attached Files:

2. Cherux02

Cherux02 Active Member

Do you have a way to measure humidity? I see the tube from a fogger so I know you're planning on increasing humidity. Deeper substrate would be better for reasons including humidity.

3. barrington

barrington Active Member

Well yes I have hygrometers all throughout the cage that read humidity are my temps and other levels to par?

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I don`t quite understand all the different temps you`ve given, many with the Temp-gun? You basically only need to know two temps on/above ground; the lowest ambient (air) @ approx. 24c (75f) then the surface temp of the basking object @ between approx. 50 to 60c (120 to 140f)....
    The enclosure is exactly the same as your other monitor was housed in, not very suitable at all because you cannot provide any depth of substrate, it would be very easy to fix a plywood batten at the bottom front to offer more depth.
    Having a suitable enclosure in place from day one is all part of (good) husbandry, it`s the best chance the animal has of living a long, healthy life, anything subpar reduces that.

5. barrington

barrington Active Member

Well the temps were from thermometer that reads them and the second ones were from laser point thermometer at temps I assume this is surface temps if the ambient temp is what is read from a thermo enter then my hot en d is at 85degress the baski g area is at 97 on the thermometer and laser points a surface of 140 degrees the col end thermo enter reads 80_85 with a surface of 72 I underatand that I could use a deeper depth of substrate but it's at Bout 1 1\2-2 feet now which has allowed no it or to begin digging with this in mind am I in range to adequately place monitor in cage @murrindindi

6. barrington

barrington Active Member

One more thing I looked on a site called lll reptile I read a lot of reviews on this site as well as other and was fair warned not to buy from places as such I chose to any how a health lizard came to me. They gave a three day warranty which was poop to begin with I begin to see a temperament change in lizard which was a black roughneck baby his tail begin to become necrotic and fell off I took hi! To the vet to be safe as he was family ad the observed that he had flesh wounD's going up the rest of his tail into his body the gave antibiotic shot and Saab for him I called and they gave me a bunch of poop as to crickets eating tail or low humidity levels etc which I knew to be bogus the humidity in the enclosure was a constant 75-80 and I wasn't over feeding them crickets as they were babies in my heart I know they sold me a sick lizard the signs weren't there BC they went fully developed now while I'll admit that these problems could have developed my. Sav is doing extremely well thriving and eating as well as enjoying himself I'd like to know ur thoughts as well as anything g u can chime in on on the subject kind of has me afraid to get a black roughneck BC they made me feel guilty
    Now after seek g the vet and having shots my lizard passed a few days later out the blue he was soaking as vet suggested and he soaked for I'd say 2 mins before he passed on @murrindindi @Cherux02

7. Cherux02

Cherux02 Active Member

You're story isn't clear. But it sounds like you got a lizard and 4 days later it died? Cause on Tuesday it sounded like you were working on the enclosure before the lizard arrived. Is that a different instance in a different enclosure where it was delivered by mail and died?
    You said that enclosure has
    It must not have been the enclosure in the original post bc the picture has only 3 or 4 inches of substrate. It's clear by the proportion to the hides and dishes.

In any case, you very well may have gotten an injured and ill monitor that died in a matter of weeks. If you had it a few months I would suggest you be harder on yourself. In any case try to find shortcomings and ways to improve rather than shooting down the vet and justifying yourself. You could work on an adult cage and get a rescue instead of something imported from the big distributors. Then there's no excuses.

8. barrington

barrington Active Member

Well I ordered the lizard received him Nov 3 by the end of Nov he was sick and tail fell off etc the vet I a! Not dismissing they were helping me treat my lizardas far as the cage goes I've
    Been inclined to add a wood bar on door and then to just fill in more substrate

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, rescues are often in poor health because of the previous husbandry, as a result do not respond to improved care.