This Disappears When Logged In

Help! Beardie Passed Blood and Has Something Sticking Out from His Vent!!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by KindredSoul, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Re: Help! Beardie Passed Blood and Has Something Sticking Out from His Vent

Lots of people use them. Haven't heard anything really bad about them.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Vivarium is just a name for an enclosure full of live plants. In the case of a bearded dragon this presents some challenges.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

But some stores are selling those plastic enclosures with the lights fixtures mounted on the insides as "vivariums", guess I should have asked if those were what the OP was referring to.

4. KindredSoul

KindredSoul Active Member

The one i am looking at is a wooden vivarium it's is supposed to hold in more heat and it had areas for him to climb in they seem really nice.

Google Image Result for http://www.livefoods.co.uk/images/PT4027_VE_BD_Vivarium_flatpack_oak.jpg

this is the link to one that looks like the one i want i like the idea of the different levels my beardie is in a very large terranium and loves to climb to i thought one of these would give him a better home but also give him room to climb.

The uvb on mine is in the back and it has a lot more air circulation someone made it and it looks alot nicer then the ones i see selling online only problem is it has a loose board i will have to glue or fix. It also comes with 2 thermometers, 2 uvb tube lights, basking lights and clamps for $220

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That sounds very nice. My concern is that the wooden shelves may not retain enough heat and offer a good purchase for scrambling up on to them but this would be an easy fix by securing some slate tile to them. Also the lighting setup maybe problematic when first decoratig the cage, just make sure he will be an adequate distance from the ligts no matter what he ends up climbing on.
    These "vivariums" aren't any different then a custom made enclosure that most people use for any number of reptiles. What are the dimensions on the one you are going to get?

6. KindredSoul

Yea it is a custom one that was made I am going in to get the dimensions of the vivarium I am looking into today I was going to get tile also :) i have wanted to use tile for a bit now. I hope the one im looking at will be big enough how far away is he supposed to be away from the lighs??

7. KindredSoul

Adult beardies need a 40-50 gal tank right?

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

More like a 90-100. Something that is 4x2x2.

9. KindredSoul

That's strange everywhere i look it sais 50-60

10. DSling

DSling Well-Known Member

I don't want to hijack the thread but I have an issue along the same lines. My beardie stopped eating bugs but kept eating greens (offered everyday but eaten every 3-5 days). I took her to the vet and did a stool sample and x-ray and everything came back clean. This was about 2 months ago. Yesterday I was sleeping on the couch (not in trouble just fell asleep watching TV with the kid) and woke to her trying to get out of her cage. I looked in and she had a massive poop; but along side it was a bunch of antennas, legs, heads and bits of shell. It was all dubias. I put her in the tub while I clean her cage and she pooped again. I should have photographed it all. She went from 534g to 522g. I track everything that she eats and how many times she poops and do a full checkup every month with weight, measurements and stool sample. I don't understand why nothing showed up on the x-ray if she was impacted.

11. DSling

DSling Well-Known Member

I put my dimensions in this and it said 120 gal

Tank Volume Calculator

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Double check your temperatures. Sounds like there is some digestive issue.

13. KindredSoul

Yea my boy is doing great now!

He is pooping in his tank again which he only would with the help of a bath. He is now running around his tank more active then I have seen him ever since I have gotten him. He was impacted with lots of tummy rubs he was able to go no blood this time either I am very happy about it.

I woke up to a very very big poop on his tank floor I didnt need to put him in a bath to make him go to the bathroom anymore so that makes me happy. He is running around his tank like no tomorrow I have never seen him this active. Even when i first got him