This Disappears When Logged In

Help!! Bad Info On Green Iguanas!!

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by LadyJester, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyJester

LadyJester New Member

I have collaberated with the owners of my local pet store. They're great people who honestly care about the herps they sell. I was gathering info to make a hand-out sheet that the pet store can give to new Green Iguana owners and came across this website:
    http://www.ahc.umn.edu/rar/MNAALAS/Iguana.html
    Good grief, he promotes feeding Green Iguanas meat!!! Pinky mice, no less!!! But I don't know how to contact the author and ask that he alter his diet advice. How else can I spread the word that this guy has no clue, and for Green Iguana owners to NOT USE HIS DIET? :eek:

2. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

e-mail the site owner, trace the website down to it's bare roots. Do whatever you need.

-adam

3. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Thats insane

The sad part is that you know people are listening to what he says and believeing him! I have never heard of such crazy suggestions before! :(

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,
    I have contacted the site owner. I will post anything that transpires here.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I too have sent them an Email. However due to the last time the page was updated was 5 years ago I don't know that it would make any difference.

we can only try

6. IGGYMAN6982

IGGYMAN6982 Elite Member

I also noticed it stated that you should feed an older iguana 2-3 times a week. I feed mine every day.

7. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

There needs to be a way to eliminate these old sites with this outdated information on them. I was doing research for a paper and almost all the info I found was incorrect and outdated.

8. Merlin

What they are recommending is what was once considered good advice...
    10-15 years ago! :eek:
    As I stated in my email to them the page needs to be updated,....
    SERIOUSLY updated!

9. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Lets see, eating animal proteins, using hot rocks, and supplying the juvi Ig with an adequate amount of feces in there diet. All things we know are wrong!!

10. Merlin

Don't we wish!!!!!!!!
    Yes thats about the size of it!

11. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Folks,
    It amazes me the amount of incorrect information that is out there. Someone else recently told me the same thing, mice for the 1st year! Now even I know thats far from the truth. I have a good teacher.....my wife!

Steven

12. LadyJester

LadyJester New Member

Yep, that was another thing that floored me!

Yep, we feed our's twice...once about an hour after the lights have been on, and then again an hour or so before they shut off. Our boys will climb out and get nasty if they don't get fed every day... :)

13. LadyJester

LadyJester New Member

Yep, me too

That's about it, too... But by the time I'd gotten to this guy's site, I'd been just too disgusted. I'm too ignorant to find the site owner, but I knew someone here would be able to help... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.