This Disappears When Logged In

Hello from Westminster, MD!! New to Site!!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by BeardieIguanna, Nov 16, 2014.

1. BeardieIguanna

BeardieIguanna New Member

Hello,

I am new to the site, I have a young Beardie and an Iguanna. My hubby has a young Savannah Monitor and my youngest two children have Leopard geckos. I have loved animals ever since I can remember and grew up on a farm always helping injured wild animals and taking in strays. I have had iguanna's before and think they are wonderful. Im new to owning bearded dragons but use to work with one at a Pet store I use to work in. I work as a veterinary receptionist but we only do dog/cat and pocket pets, no exotics. I dont know much about the Savannah Monitors so any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have a beardie, too!

From the pics, it looks like a few of your setups could use some work.

Are you handy or good at DIY, because that will save you TONS of $$$ by building your own, rather than buying store bought enclosures.

Your Savannah will need a MUCH larger enclosure to be healthy. Aquariums just won't do for an adult lizard. Something with a huge footprint - about 4x8 feet, with a height of 4 feet is a good start. If you have more room, bigger is better. I'm sure some of the monitor owners will be along shortly to chime in.

You can get some good ideas from the construction section of these forums.

You will also want to ditch the sand (or whatever the gritty stuff is) in your bearded dragon enclosure. While they come from arid and semi-arid habitats, they are usually found in rocky areas, rather than sandy ones. Also, the sand (or whatever) can be ingested, and cause serious problems.

You could use slate, flagstone, or ceramic tile to fill your tank in with an attractive, natural look. (check your local landscape supply for the best deals on stones.) It can be creatively stacked to make caves and ledges, just be sure that they aren't stacked in such a way they could fall, or that the lizard could knock them over. You can use silicone to fasten them together if you wanted to.

Or if you want something slightly easier to clean, use indoor/outdoor carpet cut to the size of the enclosure, and make more than one (so one can be in use while the other is being cleaned.)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HC! And I agree, you have some work ahead of you.
    And I hope you have plenty of space. Both savannas as well as green iguanas need BIG cages.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to Herp Center!

5. BeardieIguanna

BeardieIguanna New Member

Thank you so very much. Yeah I know the Savannah enclosure needs to be bigger we are making plans now to build a new one. We have not had him long and so this was perfect when we got him. I appreciate any advice, never hurts. Yeah I dont much care for the its ground something or other not sand and is supposedly safe. I had already decided to get the indoor outdoor carpet just havent gotten it yet.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

When you go for the carpet, buy a big roll from your local hardware store, and cut multiples, for ease of cleaning. It will be so much cheaper than pet store "cage carpets" and last just as long. Plus, you can do multiple cages, if your collection expands.

I would still give her at least a couple stones or tiles, as they make a great place to shine a basking lamp to make a good basking spot.

7. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Second the big roll of carpet idea. Also makes cleaning a lot easier if you have 2 pieces for each cage, put the second one in while you wash/dry the first and then keep swapping.

Welcome aboard!