This Disappears When Logged In

Hello From a New Member

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by FriendOfCrispy, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FriendOfCrispy

FriendOfCrispy New Member

Hello all,
    I just subscribed to stay current on iguana care. A few weeks ago I purchased Crispy from a local pet shop. It seems he was surrendered or sold by his previous owner, but the pet shop didn't have too much info.
    He is missing 3 claws on his front left foot and one on the front right. Should I assume these will not be growing back? I am also wondering how old he is, he is about 9" from nose to the base of his tail.
    Does anyone have any guesses on an approximate age? He also has a few small black spots on his head that I'm getting checked out by an exotics vet.
    Fortunately, my wife is a veterinary student at the University of Tennessee so we are privy to excellent care at the teaching hospital.
    I am currently using a RetptiSun 5.0 and the basking area is about 6" from the bulb. I've read up on the UV output of the bulb, but there seems to some debate as to what the actual UVB exposure requirement is for an iguana, so it's hard to tell if this bulb is really as inadequate as some say it is. I've read in multiple places that they are good bulbs, especially at that distance. Any thoughts?

I'm glad I've found an active community of iguana enthusiasts and thanks in advance for the information on the forum.

Friend Of Crispy

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

3. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

4. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Welcome aboard. You've stopped at the right spot for all your 'Iggy' questions and answers. Have a great stay!

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HerpCenter!
    While I agree that the Mega rays will beat the flourescents hands down and seriously recommend them, many, many, healthy iguanas have been kept using the Reptisun 5.0s. For many years that was the standard!
    Of course that was also all we had.
    There is no way of accurately telling age based on size. Too many variables, chief among them is the kind of care it received while it was young.
    Missing claws is fairly common in iguanas. The toenails may or may not grow back, depending on how far down they are missing. If the base is still there, and intact, it may regenerate. If not, no. But many igs do just fine with missing claws.

6. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I agree with Merlin, there have been very healthy iguanas raised on the 5.0. They are not desert reptiles and I believe the 10.0 are sold for bearded dragons, uro's, desert dwelling reptiles. You have the bulb at a great distance for the tubes. Mercury vapor are better though than the fluorescent, another great thing is that they also produce heat, where as the fluorescents do not. So, you can save on the mass amounts of heat bulbs or ceramic heat emitters with the mercury vapor bulb.

7. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HC! I won't regurgitate everything that was said except that I am a strong endorser of the mega Ray.

8. FriendOfCrispy

FriendOfCrispy New Member

Thanks for all of the prompt replies. I am going to be building a large habitat sometime in the spring (or sooner if the little guy grows that fast) and I will definitely look into the bulbs you all have recommended. I will post as soon as I find out what the spots are on Crispy's head.

9. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to Herp Center.

10. jfogle78

jfogle78 Elite Member

regurgitate! LOL!!!!!!!!!
    And welcome!

11. rick1iam

rick1iam Subscribed User Premium Member

Friend of crispy you are one lucky an smart guy to have a wife in this profession. You have a great head start on the majority of people like me. My Igs nails did not grow back.

12. Debbie

Debbie Elite Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of the green babies!!!!!

Debbie & Bam-Bam. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.